Looking a electrical potential far away

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the correctness of an equation and a follow-up question about the interpretation of the equation in a specific scenario. The equation in question is V=(KQ/L)((-ln(d))+(ln(L+d))), and the question is whether it is correct or not. The follow-up question asks which charge distribution would result in the same potential as the given equation when the distance d is much greater than the length of the rod. The poster suggests that as d approaches infinity, the charge distribution would resemble a point charge, but they are unsure and seek clarification.
seto6

Homework Statement

V=(KQ/L)((-ln(d))+(ln(L+d)))

is this correct? if not could some one tell me where i went wrong.
thanks in advance.

there is a part 2 to it as follows:

Imagine that distance d is much greater than the length of the rod. Intuitively, the potential should be approximately the same as the potential at a distance d from which of the following charge distributions?

a) an infinitely long wire with total charge Q
b) an infinitely long wire with total charge Qd/L
c) a point charge of magnitude Q
d) an electric dipole with moment QL

not sure what the question trying to interpret, if i am correct as d>>L the charge becomes like a point charge

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so my claim is that as we go far we see it as a point charge. but i am not sure about this could someone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is electrical potential?

Electrical potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electrical potential measured?

Electrical potential is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter.

3. How does electrical potential change over distance?

Electrical potential typically decreases as distance increases. This is known as the inverse square law, meaning the potential decreases by the square of the distance.

4. Why is it important to consider electrical potential far away?

Understanding electrical potential far away is important for analyzing and predicting the behavior of electric fields and the movement of electric charges over large distances.

5. What factors affect electrical potential far away?

The main factors that affect electrical potential far away are the amount of charge present, the distance from the source of the electric field, and any intervening materials or objects that may affect the electric field.