Looking for a Better Textbook on Set Theory?

In summary: Enderton's book is a very good one and I recommend it, though it is not meant for absolute beginners.
robertjford80
I don't like Jech's textbook on set theory because he gives these definitions written in this bizarre language and he doesn't restate the definition in colloquial English. That mathematicians feel its unnecessary to give colloquial examples of their definition or examples, in my opinion, is a mistake. I get the feeling that Jech just assumes people already understand set theory. I'm reading Breuer's text on Set Theory now but it is short and I will soon be done with it. Does anyone else know of a good text on set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
On what level do you want the book to be? Do you only want elementary set theory to apply in other fields of mathematics, or do you want a more fundamantal, axiomatic approach?

If it is the latter, I recommend "Introduction to Axiomatic Set Theory" by Jean-Louis Krivine, from about 1971.

I was pretty surprised by this statement about the book by Jech and thought that it doesn't describe the book accurately at all...and then I realized that there's a book written by Jech alone, rather than by Hrbacek & Jech. OK, the book by Jech seems to be more formal, so if that's the one you meant, I see your point, and my recommendation is...Hrbacek & Jech.

Fredrik said:
I was pretty surprised by this statement about the book by Jech and thought that it doesn't describe the book accurately at all...and then I realized that there's a book written by Jech alone, rather than by Hrbacek & Jech. OK, the book by Jech seems to be more formal, so if that's the one you meant, I see your point, and my recommendation is...Hrbacek & Jech.

Jech's book really is a very good book. It contains a wealth of information on set theory and is one of my favorites. However, in order to read Jech, you absolutely need to be comfortable with some set theory already, it's not meant to be a beginners book. Hrbacek & Jech is also extremely good and is more suitable to absolute beginners in set theory.

the first book i read in high school on set theory seemed very nice, by Erich Kamke. Then Halmos' Naive set theory is very popular, and there is always the masterpiece by Hausdorff. I seem to remember that after reading Hausdorff it seemed Kamke was just a repetition of a small part of that book. I also enjoyed browsing in Georg Cantor's book, On contributions to the founding of transfinite numbers, but it is for those who appreciate original sources.

Likes lab0000
The book by Enderton is good too.

Likes Luis Gomez
gufiguer said:
The book by Enderton is good too.
Indeed

Related to Looking for a Better Textbook on Set Theory?

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects, known as sets. It is used as a foundation for various areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and logic.

2. What makes a good textbook on set theory?

A good textbook on set theory should provide a clear and concise introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of the subject. It should also include a variety of examples and exercises to help the reader understand and apply the concepts learned.

3. What are some important topics that should be covered in a set theory textbook?

Some important topics that should be covered in a set theory textbook include basic set operations, relations and functions, cardinality, and the axiomatic approach to set theory. Other topics that may be included are infinite sets, transfinite numbers, and the continuum hypothesis.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks on set theory?

Yes, there are several highly recommended textbooks on set theory, such as "Elements of Set Theory" by Herbert Enderton, "Introduction to Set Theory" by Karel Hrbacek and Thomas Jech, and "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen.

5. Is a background in mathematics necessary to understand set theory?

While a background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand set theory. A good textbook should provide clear explanations and examples that anyone with basic mathematical knowledge can follow. However, a strong foundation in logic and mathematical reasoning is helpful for understanding more advanced concepts in set theory.