Looking for a concise algebra-based book on basic physics

In summary: Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by John S. Rigden"Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Robert G. Brown"Introducing General Physics" by James Gleick"Fundamentals of Physics: Mechanics" by Raymond Chang"Introducing Quantum Mechanics" by David Deutsch"An Introduction to Modern Physics" by Paul DaviesNone of these seem to fit your specific needs, but they are all good books to start with.
Ankel
I need a book that is under 400-500 pages which covers all of basic physics nicely. Every introductory algebra-based physics book I have seen has over 1000 pages and I just need a concise book right now, for some personal reasons.

It should cover the following topics:

1. General physics
1.1 Length and time
1.2 Motion
1.3 Mass and weight
1.4 Density
1.5 Forces
1.6 Momentum
1.7 Energy, work and power
1.8 Pressure
2. Thermal physics
2.1 Simple kinetic molecular model of matter
2.2 Thermal properties and temperature
2.3 Thermal processes
3. Properties of waves, including light and sound
3.1 General wave properties
3.2 Light
3.3 Electromagnetic spectrum
3.4 Sound
4. Electricity and magnetism
4.1 Simple phenomena of magnetism
4.2 Electrical quantities
4.3 Electric circuits
4.4 Digital electronics (not necessary)
4.5 Dangers of electricity
4.6 Electromagnetic effects
4.7 Hooke's Law
5. Atomic physics
5.1 The nuclear atom
5.2 Radioactivity

A good candidate for this book was "Basic Physics" by Kuhn but it doesn't seem to cover some of the topics I listed (for example, the Hooke's Law). I'll be very very glad if somebody could help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Benjamin Crowell's Introductory Physics books should cover much of what you've listed:

http://lightandmatter.com/

A bad suggestion. The "Light and Matter" book is over 1000 pages and the other books are quite larger than I mentioned, those that are concise don't fit the topic.

Do you have any other suggestions in mind?

Did you look at the other books on his page like the Conceptual Physics? It has 187 pgs.

http://lightandmatter.com/cp/

Also I searched around a bit and there are other books that are around 400+ pgs on Amazon which you can probably pickup in a nearby bookstore. The quality varies though and they may not match whatever course you're taking.

Lastly, please be a bit more polite in your comments saying "bad suggestion" without saying thanks won't win many people over to help you in your search.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Did you look at the other books on his page like the Conceptual Physics? It has 187 pgs.

http://lightandmatter.com/cp/

Also I searched around a bit and there are other books that are around 400+ pgs on Amazon which you can probably pickup in a nearby bookstore. The quality varies though and they may not match whatever course you're taking.

Lastly, please be a bit more polite in your comments saying "bad suggestion" without saying thanks won't win many people over to help you in your search.

I didn't mean to offend you, sir. I am not a native speaker of English, so mind my sillyness. Can you show me these under-400 books? I'd very very appreciate it...and Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best book for learning basic physics with an emphasis on algebra?

One highly recommended book is "Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Karl F. Kuhn. It covers all the fundamental concepts in physics with a focus on algebra, making it accessible for beginners.

2. Is there a specific edition or version of the book that is better for beginners?

The latest edition, which is the 5th edition, is the most updated and comprehensive version of the book. However, older editions may also be suitable for beginners as the core concepts and principles remain the same.

3. Does the book cover all the necessary topics in basic physics?

Yes, the book covers all the essential topics in basic physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It also provides clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts better.

4. Is there a strong mathematical focus in the book?

Yes, the book has a strong algebraic focus, as stated in the title. However, it also includes some basic calculus concepts, which are necessary for a thorough understanding of physics. The book strikes a good balance between mathematical rigor and accessibility for beginners.

5. Are there any practice problems or exercises included in the book?

Yes, the book includes numerous practice problems and exercises at the end of each chapter. These are designed to help readers apply the concepts they have learned and reinforce their understanding of the material. Additionally, the book also includes answers to all the practice problems, making it a useful self-study tool.