Looking for a free pdf documentation about Swedish Volvo truck engineering

  • Topic: Automotive 
  • Thread starter Thread starter membreP
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
9 replies · 2K views
membreP
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Hi, Im looking for a free pdf documentation about swedish's volvo truck engineering
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

In what parts of the engineering are you particularly interested, and why ?
 
I imagine that The World has just stopped sharing intellectual property.
 
There is a lot of intellectual property posted online for free in PDF format at the US Patent Office website: https://www.uspto.gov/patents/search/patent-public-search. A search for US patents assigned to Volvo found 7260 hits. Not all of those hits are for Volvo trucks, but that site has powerful Boolean search capability to narrow down the results.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and berkeman
I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember that the US patent office blocks non-US Internet access (or maybe just some countries). If that is the case, you could try using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to do a search of the site.

Good Luck, and please let us know about your success, or lack there-of.

Cheers,
Tom
 
Tom.G said:
I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember that the US patent office blocks non-US Internet access (or maybe just some countries). If that is the case, you could try using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to do a search of the site.

Good Luck, and please let us know about your success, or lack there-of.

Cheers,
Tom
I thought the idea of patents was to allow the inventor time to exploit the idea and then to share the invention with humanity at large.
 
tech99 said:
I thought the idea of patents was to allow the inventor time to exploit the idea and then to share the invention with humanity at large.
This. US patent applications are published 18 months after the first application date. The inventor has a legal monopoly starting from the date of patent issuance and ending 20 years after the first application date. The goal is to spur innovation by giving the inventor a monopoly for a limited period of time and by publishing the invention. Publishing the invention tells others what they cannot do, and so that they can further spur innovation by inventing around the first patent.

There is a Patent Cooperation Treaty (search the term) for international patents. It's been a while since I searched international patents, but try searching European Patent Office to get started. Patents.google.com is another place to start.
 
jrmichler said:
This. US patent applications are published 18 months after the first application date. The inventor has a legal monopoly starting from the date of patent issuance and ending 20 years after the first application date. The goal is to spur innovation by giving the inventor a monopoly for a limited period of time and by publishing the invention. Publishing the invention tells others what they cannot do, and so that they can further spur innovation by inventing around the first patent.

There is a Patent Cooperation Treaty (search the term) for international patents. It's been a while since I searched international patents, but try searching European Patent Office to get started. Patents.google.com is another place to start.
Thank you 👍