Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a gas flow switch/sensor any leads?

  1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum or posted wrong. I'm new here my name is Troy and I'm a student at Akron University in Ohio. I am a junior studying to be a mechanical polymer engineer. I'm wondering does anyone know of a flow switch/sensor that only senses that there is flow above 0 cfm and can allow flow up to 1.2cfm or 0-35Lpm. If anyone has any info on this please let me know. I've searched over global spec quite a bit, cole parmer, eaton electric, to name a few. it just needs to be reallly simple. It does not need to disply or send a certain figure to a computer just an open or close signal on/off. If anyone has any possible knowledge or leads please let me know. Thank you very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I would look at running a tandem pressure switch with a simple 2 way solenoid valve. The solenoid valve can be sized for the Cv you require (flow) and the pressure switch will detect the pressure and actuate the valve.

    I can't say I know of a single unit that will do both, but I haven't had to look in quite a while.
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Thank you so much for the quick reply I was just introding myself in the general discussion area. I will look into this as I am exploring many possibilities. Any others that care to chime in with ideas or known products are more than free to as your info is appreciated. Your information Fred is greatly appreciate. Thank you again and have a good day.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook