Looking for advice regarding my future in Astronomy

In summary: If you want to be an astronomer, then getting a degree in astronomy is a good idea. But getting a B.S. in physics will also give you a good foundation for a career as an astronomer. It doesn't really matter what degree you get as long as you have a degree.3. What are some good schools for my intended field of study?The job market for astronomy degrees is extremely small. The best thing to do is major in physics, which looks a lot better when applying to grad schools, plus the knowledge gained is undoubtedly helpful. Get a BS instead of a BA.
kayaman132
Hi, I'm a high school junior and have the for as long as I can remember been interested in the sciences. In the past few years my love for science has focused in on space. I've been starting to plan for college and have been mostly looking at getting into astronomy. However, physics and astrophysics have also been big possible options for me.

For a while I held on to a belief that getting degrees in astronomy meant I would for-sure be an astronomer. I've come to realize this is not true. I've also come to realize that if I want to get into the astronomy field, I don't necessarily have to get degrees in astronomy.

Now, I have a few questions I was hoping to get some help with:

1. Do I need a B.S. in astronomy (or physics) to get into a graduate program for astronomy (or physics) or can I get in with a B.A.?
2. Is it smarter to get a bachelor's degree in physics instead of astronomy before going into a graduate program? I've been told so by a few people.
3. What are some good schools for my intended field of study?

Physics news on Phys.org
The job market for astronomy degrees is extremely small. The best thing to do is major in physics, which looks a lot better when applying to grad schools, plus the knowledge gained is undoubtedly helpful. Get a BS instead of a BA.
Any education is a good education. There are numerous schools with good physics programs. There are lists all over the internet if you are looking for top tier schools. Just Google it.

kayaman132 said:
1. Do I need a B.S. in astronomy (or physics) to get into a graduate program for astronomy (or physics) or can I get in with a B.A.?

No. People with physics undergrads get into astronomy graduate schools.

2. Is it smarter to get a bachelor's degree in physics instead of astronomy before going into a graduate program? I've been told so by a few people.

I think it can be helpful.

No, you don't need a BS. If your school offers both, go for the BS, but some schools only offer a BA, and that's fine. I got a BA in physics and astronomy and finished a PhD in physics with a dissertation related to astrophysics. Getting a bachelors in physics definitely helps more than a degree in astronomy; astronomy alone won't get you into grad school in astronomy because there's so much physics involved. Even a PhD in physics is a good idea for schools that combine physics and astronomy; it's more marketable than a PhD in astronomy.

Something to keep in mind is that even though the field of astronomy is small it is often high paying right out of college with the right degree.

The graduate school committee is not going to care whether the degree is called B.S. or B.A. They will look at the transcript to see what the coursework looks like.

So, what you guys are saying is get a B.S. in physics, or a B.A. if that's all that's available? Then go for a PhD in physics instead of astronomy because of the poor job market for astronomy and the marketability of a physics PhD?

kayaman132 said:
So, what you guys are saying is get a B.S. in physics, or a B.A. if that's all that's available?

I've been told that a bachelors of physics is more applicable than a bachelor of astronomy, but I don't know how true this is. My undergraduate was physics rather than astronomy, because my undergraduate school didn't have a degree in astronomy.

Then go for a PhD in physics instead of astronomy because of the poor job market for astronomy and the marketability of a physics PhD?

That's incorrect. If you go for a Ph.D., then marketability in degree shouldn't be high on your list of things to worry about (and I don't think it makes that much differences anyway).

1. What is the job outlook for astronomers?

The job outlook for astronomers is good, with a projected job growth of 5% between 2019-2029. However, competition for jobs in this field is high due to the small number of positions available.

2. What level of education is required to become an astronomer?

Most astronomers have a Ph.D. in Astronomy, Physics, or a related field. Some positions may only require a Master's degree, but a Ph.D. is generally preferred for research positions.

3. What skills are important for a career in astronomy?

Strong analytical and mathematical skills are essential for astronomers. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and computer programming skills are important for conducting research and analyzing data.

4. What kind of work environment can I expect as an astronomer?

Astronomers typically work in a combination of indoor and outdoor settings. They may spend time in a laboratory or office setting analyzing data, as well as observing from telescopes at observatories or in the field.

5. What are some common career paths for astronomers?

Some common career paths for astronomers include research positions at universities, government agencies, or private research institutions. Others may work in education, science communication, or science policy.