Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Experimental Nuclear Physicists and Nuclear Engineers

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    Hi All,

I want to run some small nuclear transmutation experiments for a nuclear battery project. However, my knowledge of nuclear physics is very theoretical and I was looking to get mentored by a physicist or nuclear engineer who has experience with working with radiation sources. Here is my question:

Does anyone know an experimental nuclear physicist or nuclear engineer located near Memphis, TN willing to help mentor a young engineer?

Or better, is anyone on this a forum an experimental nuclear physicist or nuclear engineer located near Memphis, TN?

Thanks,

Zeph

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2
    zeph - I doubt you will have much luck attracting help this way. Consider working through a teacher or professor if you are in school.

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

you might try Memphis State. I see they offer a few nuclear courses.

https://www.memphis.edu/physics/grad_physics.htm [Broken]

see physics 6021 and 6110

What kind of equipment and lab are you working with?
    And what's your idea of "close" ? U of Missouri at Rolla has a research reactor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook