Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for good websites about physics

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    Are there any good websites out there that are good at explaining various physics concepts and theories, from Newtonian physics to string theory, in a form that a high school physics student like myself can understand?

I need to know this since I am currently fascinated with physics and thinking pf majoring in it. I've tried Wikipedia but I can't trust everything on there plus some articles are hard to understand due to the author's lack of explaining the subject correctly.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    I would say you're on it.... but that might not be the answer you would like to hear.

In general, I would invest in a good physics text book... if you would like to venture out a little bit more and are comfortable with math, you might want to look into Feynman's lectures on physics.... but i would ask what your math and physics experience is before i would tell you to buy it. Other text books, say for like a freshman physics series, will explain in great detail all of the concepts I am assuming you want to learn.

Many of these textbooks are also available for free online.

In addition, if you would like parallel explanations to these concepts.... utilize the search function in these forums, as well as searching with google for various proofs and such with regards to the concept you are interested in.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your advice, as of right now my mathematics isn't that high for advance physics, since I am currently enrolled in my high school's pre-calculus class.

5. Sep 4, 2009 #4
    How about an inspiring physicist's blog? I used to see one, but lost track of it.

6. Sep 4, 2009 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 22, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 26, 2010 #7
    http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html

This contains introductory physics lectures explaining various physics concepts from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics. The lectures are viewed in the US and Canada. If you are living in other countries, you can access to the lectures via the following link.

http://documentaries-plus.blogspot.com/2010/08/mechanical-universe.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Dec 1, 2010 #8
  10. Jun 2, 2015 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook