1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for opinions: does it worth having a Master ?

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    looking for opinions: does it worth having a Master ??

i have just finished my degree on physics but i was thinking about doing a Master degree in Physics or mathematics but does it worth ?? , i mean in order to get a better job or get access to a research grant.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: looking for opinions: does it worth having a Master ??

Sorry, Zetafunction. Your English is a little difficult to follow, so I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking.

I think you're asking whether having a master's degree will help in getting a job. To which I would answer that it can. It depends on the kind of job you want and what you do in the master's degree. For example, if you want to work in medical physics, you need at least a master's degree just to get into the field. On the other had, in some cases a master's degree can over-qualify you for positions that only require a university degree.

As for research grants - unless it's a grant set up to allow you to pursue further education, you essentially need both an advanced degree and a position that will allow you to effectively pursue the research you're proposing to do, such as a professorship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook