1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering How will having a master's degree in engineering change your career path ?

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    So I was wondering that what difference can having a master's degree in engineering (let's take my own field, mechanical engineering) will make than if I worked straight away with a bachelor's degree? What sort of positions within organizations do MEs with MS hold and what job usually the end up doing?

I read somewhere for MEs, the master's degree isn't any attractive perk for the employers and bachelors degree would suffice but with downgoing market, can having a masters increase your chances of employment against a bachelors guy who holds 2 years of experience by the time you complete your master ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2
    I dont know about the status in your country. But I can say my experience in India. After completing my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, I was able to get job as an electrical engineer. But the job profile was operation and maintenance of electrical machines in an aerospace manufacturing company. When I tried to change my department to Research and development in the same company, I was denied the opportunity since only Master's are only selected for R&D profile. I tried R&D job in other companies too, but I was not successful. Hence I quit the job and did my Master's degree in electrical engineering. Soon after my Master's I got placed in R&D department of an electrical company and I see only people with Masters working with me in the present company.
    So, it would be beneficial to have a master's degree in terms of getting specialized knowledge in your subject and also good job opportunities.

4. Aug 13, 2011 #3
    Thanks !

So you mean even Ph.D is not needed to do R&D in industry and master degree is a pretty good deal considering the time and resources needed to do it compared with Ph.D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook