Looking for people in bayesian modeling

And then maybe do some background reading on Bayesian inference and graphical models.In summary, the speaker is starting a project on signal detection theory and is looking for references on Bayesian modeling and statistical inference, particularly with graphical modeling. They mention having access to a practical tutorial but feel they lack the necessary basis. They are recommended to start with MacKay's book on information theory and then do background reading on Bayesian inference and graphical models.
pablotano
I am starting a project on signal detection theory (cognitive focus), and working with a winbugs expansion in matlab. I am looking for good references, papers, books, anything that fully cover the theory of bayesian modeling and statistical inference (mostly with graphical modeling, since that is the most direct step I've found between analysis an programming). I already have access to a very good practical tutorial, but I find myself lacking the basis.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/itila/http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/itila/[quote="pablotano, post: 4785618"]I am starting a project on signal detection theory (cognitive focus), and working with a winbugs expansion in matlab. I am looking for good references, papers, books, anything that fully cover the theory of bayesian modeling and statistical inference (mostly with graphical modeling, since that is the most direct step I've found between analysis an programming). I already have access to a very good practical tutorial, but I find myself lacking the basis.[/QUOTE]

I would say start with MacKay's book on information theory. Pretty good and comprehensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Bayesian modeling?

Bayesian modeling is a statistical approach that uses Bayesian probability theory to make inferences about a population based on available data. It involves incorporating prior knowledge or beliefs about the population into the analysis, along with the observed data, to produce a posterior probability distribution.

2. How is Bayesian modeling different from other statistical methods?

Unlike frequentist statistics, which relies on fixed parameters and repeated sampling, Bayesian modeling allows for updating beliefs and incorporating new information as it becomes available. It also produces a probability distribution rather than a single point estimate, allowing for a more nuanced interpretation of the results.

3. What are some common applications of Bayesian modeling?

Bayesian modeling has been used in a wide range of fields, including medicine, finance, social sciences, and engineering. Some common applications include predicting disease risk, estimating financial market trends, and analyzing social media data.

4. How do you choose the prior distribution in Bayesian modeling?

Choosing the prior distribution involves incorporating any existing knowledge or beliefs about the population into the analysis. This can be based on previous studies, expert opinions, or even subjective beliefs. In practice, sensitivity analyses are often conducted to assess the impact of different prior distributions on the results.

5. What are some limitations of Bayesian modeling?

One limitation of Bayesian modeling is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for complex models with large datasets. It also relies heavily on the choice of prior distribution, which can introduce subjectivity into the analysis. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of data, such as highly skewed or sparse datasets.