Looking for Physics/Math Study Buddy(ies)

• Studying
  • Thread starter majormuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, a first-year graduate student in a physics Ph.D. program is looking for a group or study buddy to help them stay focused and motivated. They have had no luck finding a suitable group among their fellow grad students and online study-buddy matching sites. Their current courses include Theoretical Mechanics and Theoretical Physics, and they are interested in pursuing research in astrophysics or cosmology.
majormuss
I am a first-year graduate student in a physics Ph.D. program. I am hoping to find someone or a group I can study and solve problems with, online or in-person. I tend to procrastinate or get distracted on my own, so I was hoping to find a group to join or create. My fellow grad students seem way too cliquey and I'd rather look elsewhere. I have looked through some of the many online "study-buddy" matching sites with no luck. I don't mind buddying up with physics undergraduates/ grads etc. as long as our the fields of interest are reasonably similar.
My Courses this semester are: Theoretical Mechanics (Essentially Classical Mechanics) and Theoretical Physics (Essentially Math Methods)
Next Semester: Quantum I and E/M I
My Research Interests are not definite yet but I am leaning towards astrophysics/Cosmology

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your fields of interest?

And which courses are you taking this year?

PeroK said:
What are your fields of interest?
jtbell said:
And which courses are you taking this year?
This semester: Theoretical Mechanics (Essentially Classical Mechanics) and Theoretical Physics (Essentially Math Methods)
Next Semester: Quantum I and E/M I

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of having a physics/math study buddy?

Having a study buddy can make studying more enjoyable and help keep you motivated. It also allows for the exchange of ideas and explanations, which can enhance understanding of difficult concepts. Furthermore, a study buddy can provide support and hold you accountable for your progress.

2. How do I find a suitable study buddy for physics/math?

You can start by reaching out to classmates or joining study groups. You can also utilize online platforms or forums specifically designed for finding study partners. When looking for a study buddy, make sure to find someone with similar goals and study habits, as well as a good understanding of the subject.

3. What should I look for in a study buddy for physics/math?

When choosing a study buddy, consider factors such as their knowledge and understanding of the subject, their availability, and their willingness to help and collaborate. It's also important to find someone who is reliable, accountable, and has a positive attitude towards learning.

4. How often should I meet with my study buddy?

The frequency of meetings with your study buddy will depend on your individual needs and schedules. It's important to find a balance that works for both of you, whether it's meeting once a week or more frequently leading up to exams or assignments. Communication is key in determining a suitable meeting schedule.

5. Can I have more than one study buddy for physics/math?

Yes, you can have multiple study buddies for physics/math. In fact, having a small study group can be beneficial as it allows for a wider range of perspectives and ideas. However, make sure to choose study buddies who are all committed and focused on studying to ensure that the group remains productive.