Looking for some tuition advice

• Thread starter go_ducks
  • Start date
In summary, a physics major is struggling with math despite having good grades in previous math classes. They have trouble with basic operations and need help understanding concepts in order to succeed in physics. However, they are unable to retake a multivariable class where they received a C grade and are looking for alternative ways to improve their math skills. They also express frustration with their current physics teacher.
go_ducks
Hey guys, first a little about me. I'm a physics major, despite that I'm not very good at math at all. I have A's in all math classes up until multivariable, and then I got a C. Those grades don't reflect how much I was struggling in math up until the recent one, so I think I got a few (i.e. mostly) "easy teachers".

Some examples.

I needed to do this derivation for a standing wave formula
sin a + sin b = 2 sin (a+b/2) cos ((a-b)/2)

Took me 4 hours to get from sin (a+b/2) + sin(a-b)/2 = 2 sin a cos b to that formula, I finally just googled and found out its some bonehead algebra substitution. Right. Okay, I can actually get a A in electrostatics physics module, undergraduate level... but I can't recognise I need this kind of simple operation.

Also, in my lab I had a formula to derive, begin with something like F = 1/L (v/mew)^1/2
and I was supposed to derive df/F
alright, take the logs of both sides, then do partials. I didn't see that at all and still don't know how to solve the problem correctly with the method told to me. This is easy stuff, right? My physics teacher says it is and I am lame.

So basically what I'm saying is, okay, I'm past multivariable calc already, I've covered bigger things than this stuff, so I'm not going to waste my money on more bad maths teachers.. where can I get help with this sort of thing? Real help. I need some kind of starting point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
it's not a waste of money to learn something. just cause you were supposed to learn it the first time and didn't doesn't mean that it would be stupid to take the class again. i suggest take the class again. i did it and it made me a much better physics student.

ice109 said:
it's not a waste of money to learn something. just cause you were supposed to learn it the first time and didn't doesn't mean that it would be stupid to take the class again. i suggest take the class again. i did it and it made me a much better physics student.

Which class are you talking about? I am not allowed to retake multivaribale because I have received a grade. I asked about that.

go_ducks said:
Which class are you talking about? I am not allowed to retake multivaribale because I have received a grade. I asked about that.
Are you studing in USA or somewhere else? Because if in USA i am sure that in most universities despite of taking the grade or not you can retake any classes you want, almost at any semester!

yea I'm sure you can retake multivariable

sutupidmath said:
Are you studing in USA or somewhere else? Because if in USA i am sure that in most universities despite of taking the grade or not you can retake any classes you want, almost at any semester!

USA. But listen guys it doesn't matter about that. I took a winter class that's why I got a C. I could have climbed to B if I had practiced the homework more. But I can't do the most basic operations in physics class right now.

Like the example:

given F = 1/2L root (T/mew)
and show dF = F ( dL/L + dm/m + dmew/mew )

i'm told you take the log of F and then partials. so let's see. if i take the log of F i should get ..
ln F = ln 1/2 + ln 1/L + ln (root T) + ln (1/root mew)
ln F = ln 1/2 - ln L + 1/2 ln T - 1/2 ln mew <-- is this correct?
df/f = f[ -L[ df/L + 1/2 + 1/2 dT/T -1/2 dmew/mew) <-- this isn't the answer

I'm just looking for whatever instruction I need to be able to solve this problem. And any problem in that particular level of mathematics. Thats what I need to get down to help my physics along.

Last edited:
go_ducks said:
USA. But listen guys it doesn't matter about that. I took a winter class that's why I got a C. I could have climbed to B if I had practiced the homework more. But I can't do the most basic operations in physics class right now.

Like the example:

given F = 1/2L root (T/mew)
and show dF = F ( dL/L + dm/m + dmew/mew )

i'm told you take the log of F and then partials. so let's see. if i take the log of F i should get ..
ln F = ln 1/2 + ln 1/L + ln (root T) + ln (1/root mew)
ln F = ln 1/2 - ln L + 1/2 ln T - 1/2 ln mew <-- is this correct?
df/f = f[ -L[ df/L + 1/2 + 1/2 dT/T -1/2 dmew/mew) <-- this isn't the answer

I'm just looking for whatever instruction I need to be able to solve this problem. And any problem in that particular level of mathematics. Thats what I need to get down to help my physics along.

i'm not even going to try to decipher what you've written. retake multivariable

sutupidmath said:

In universities, not sure; in at least some community colleges, course repetition for Mathematics is not allowed if you have C-grade course credit. Also, you are given limitations for how many times you can take anyone math course. This information may have changed in last several months; hopefully so. (That is based on information in the schedule of classes from one of the C.C.s; also by trying to discuss this with a counselor)

Yes thanks. I already told you I can't retake it. And anyway knowing how to do surface integrals and whatnot isn't going to help.

I figured out my own mistake. I just read the question wrong and mistook delta (as in error) for d (as in differential). So looks like my main problem is low confidence and lack of sleep. Good luck fixing yours

go_ducks said:
Yes thanks. I already told you I can't retake it. And anyway knowing how to do surface integrals and whatnot isn't going to help.

If you can't retake the class, talk to a different professor than the one you had the first time, and ask him if he would mind if you sat in on the lectures.

Even if you can't 'retake' it officially, that does not mean you can't retake it unofficially. If you are really serious about learning the material (and from the passion in what you wrote, I believe you are) then learn the material. (yes, this is more work, but since you won't get a grade, who cares if you blow off the assignments, focus on the hard problems, engage the class in in depth, learning discussions? The professor won't.)

Don't let a little think like 'rules' keep you from the education you are pursuing. Work around the rules, and learn all you can.

It seems that most of your problem lies in your inability to read a problem correctly and apply what you know correctly. What else can you do but practice more, and take your time. It looks like you want an easy solution to your problem, but there isn't one.

You can retake a course (I know you say you can't, but I'm sure a cc wouldn't mind taking your money or maybe a professor will let you sit in a class.) Or you can put in all the EXTRA hard work and EFFORT to find your errors, find out why you make errors and learn ways to prevent them from happening. The only way I can see is make sure you understand why you are doing this operation. What is the motivation behind it. Don't just memorize you HAVE to do something THIS way. LEARN why. After that, make sure you don't make little stupid mistakes.

Of course I practice, I don't think I'd be a physics major if I'm just looking for the easy way to solve all my problems (for efficiencies sake, I naturally pursue the simplest way, but simple doesn't mean easy). I could simply take history, instead I deliberately select the science/math professors with the reputation for being hardest classes to pass. I want to learn not pass. Give me a break dude. A little respect please. I'm going to try getting a good night's sleep before my next class and see how that goes. This and get more practice, I hear what you're saying, I'll be doing that as well. Thank you.

go_ducks said:
A little respect please. I'm going to try getting a good night's sleep before my next class and see how that goes. This and get more practice, I hear what you're saying, I'll be doing that as well. Thank you.

Hey, hang in there. You picked a tough subject, like you said.

A good night's sleep goes a long way, and develop those relationships with professors. It can pay huge dividends later when you are struggling.

Don't ever give up.

What is tuition advice and why do I need it?

Tuition advice refers to guidance or recommendations given to students who are seeking help with their studies. It can include advice on how to improve academic performance, how to manage time effectively, or how to prepare for exams. You may need tuition advice if you are struggling with certain subjects or if you want to enhance your learning experience.

How do I find a good tutor or mentor?

To find a good tutor or mentor, you can ask for recommendations from your teachers, friends, or family members. You can also search online for tutoring services or agencies that specialize in the subject you need help with. It's important to do your research and read reviews before choosing a tutor or mentor.

What are some effective studying techniques that I can use?

Some effective studying techniques include setting a study schedule, taking breaks, actively engaging with the material, and practicing retrieval of information. It's also helpful to create study guides, use flashcards, and work on practice problems or past exams.

How can I manage my time better as a student?

To manage your time better as a student, you can create a schedule or a to-do list, prioritize tasks, and eliminate distractions. It's also important to take breaks and make time for self-care. Planning ahead and staying organized can also help with time management.

What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject?

If you are struggling with a particular subject, it's important to ask for help. You can reach out to your teacher, classmates, or a tutor for assistance. It's also helpful to review your notes and practice problems, and to communicate with your teacher about any difficulties you are having. Don't be afraid to ask for extra support or resources if needed.