1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Proof of double angle formulas using Euler's equation

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I'm slowly working through "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas, which I highly recommend, and I'm stumped on one of the questions. The problem is to prove the double angle formulas sin (2Θ)=2sinΘcosΘ and cos(2Θ)=cos2Θ-sin2Θ by using Euler's formula (raised to the second power) ei2Θ=cos(2Θ)+isin(2Θ). I should be splitting this up into two equations, one setting the real parts equal to each other and the other with the imaginary parts but I'm not sure how to do that with the left side looking like it does. Should I first be taking the natural log of both sides? If so, what are the logs of sin and cos?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what ##(e^{iΘ})^2## is?

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3
    Oh duh...
    (e)2=(cosΘ+isinΘ)2=cos2Θ+2isinΘcosΘ-sin2Θ which automatically leads to the answer. I was so stuck on looking at it in exponential form I didn't see what was right in front of me. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted