Looking for specific anecdote on math of rogue waves

In summary, a person recalls reading an anecdote several years ago about a math guy visiting a science lab and seeing a graph that matched an abstract math equation he was studying. The person asks if anyone remembers this anecdote and provides a brief description. Another person suggests it could be related to Alfred Osborne's work on nonlinear equations and rogue waves, which was first applied in 1965 and received attention after a single wave was recorded in 1995. The person who originally asked the question watches a video on this topic and realizes it is likely the source of their recollection, but acknowledges their memory may be flawed. The conversation then shifts to discussing false memories and how they can be formed and altered.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I read something several years ago and I would like to know if anyone here can help me identify where it came from. I've searched the Internet in vain. Lots of math / rogue wave articles but no hint of any such anecdote.

Using my own language, since I don't recall the specifics of the anecdote, just the thrust of it, in brief:

Math guy visits acquaintance at science lab (possibly NOAA), sees graph posted on wall, and asks "why on Earth do you have on your wall an exact graph of this abstract math equation that I happen to be studying right now?". Reply: "No idea what you are talking about; that's an empirical graph of rogue wave data".

Anyone recall anything like this?

Thanks

EDIT: I THINK there was more in the story about how this led to some fruitful explorations of math for rogue waves but my recollection of that is fuzzy so did not include it in description of anecdote.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could it be in the context of: (found on Wikipedia)

To explain monster waves, complex models are necessary. For example, Alfred Osborne, Professor of Physics at the University of Turin, first applied the quantum mechanical Schrodinger equation in 1965 to describe the nonlinear propagation of ocean waves. According to these equations, the monster wave is more likely to be accidental due to instabilities of the waves by locally extracting energy from its surrounding waves and thereby becoming much higher than the surrounding waves. His early work has received little attention from oceanographers. Osborne rejected this calculation method - until 1995, a single wave was recorded on the oil drilling platform Draupner-E in the North Sea, which had met exactly Osborn's predictions. The nonlinearity of water waves has since been recognized and has been taken into account by shipbuilders since about 2001.

Likes jedishrfu
Yes that is exactly what the video doc says. He got the drainer wave chart and it matched his theoretical charts.

Sounds like a very likely source of my recollections. Thanks very much, guys.

Likes berkeman and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Now we know you've been around in the UK since 2003 :-)
Well, I've been AROUND for a lot longer than that but not in the UK :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
OK, I watched the video and while it's not quite a match for my recollection of the anecdote, I'm really sure that the flaw is in my recollection and this has to be the source of what I recall. Thanks again.

Getting it a bit wrong doesn't surprise me because as I often tell people, I have a mind like a steel trap and a memory like an elephant, but I do keep forgetting where I left the peanuts.

Likes jedishrfu
I've had that issue too. Each time you recall something from memory its read and rewritten and at that moment, false memories can be inserted.

https://www.psychologistworld.com/memory/false-memories-questioning-eyewitness-testimony

In one NOVA episode, a person traumatized by spiders was injected with a drug that interfered with memory formation and that helped them overcome the fear. In keeping with this notion, I can't recall the episode or if it was NOVa or whether it was a snake and not a spider but you get the general idea right?

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/02/how-memory-hacking-is-becoming-a-reality/

1. What is the math behind rogue waves?

The math behind rogue waves involves complex calculations and equations that take into account factors such as wind speed, water depth, and wave height. These calculations are used to predict the likelihood and magnitude of a rogue wave occurring in a specific location.

2. How do rogue waves form?

Rogue waves are formed when multiple smaller waves combine and amplify each other, creating a single, large wave. This phenomenon is known as wave interference and can occur due to a variety of factors such as wind patterns, ocean currents, and seafloor topography.

3. What are the dangers of rogue waves?

Rogue waves are a significant danger to ships, offshore structures, and coastal areas. They can cause severe damage and even sink large vessels. Additionally, they can be unpredictable and difficult to detect, making them a hazard to navigation.

4. Is there a way to predict when and where a rogue wave will occur?

While there have been advancements in technology and research, it is still challenging to predict when and where a rogue wave will occur. However, scientists continue to study and develop methods for forecasting these waves to improve safety at sea.

5. Are rogue waves a recent discovery?

No, rogue waves have been documented for centuries, with reports dating back to the 16th century. However, it was not until the late 20th century that scientists began to study and understand the math and physics behind these waves more extensively.