Looking for the name of a process.

• Thread starter Rlam90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, the conversation discusses two Gaussian distributions with means A and B and their respective probabilities at a given time T to be located at X. These distributions represent a one-dimensional Wiener process and can be used to determine the probability of A being at X and B not being at X. However, the concept of particles having a probability of being in a specific place at a specific time is incorrect and may be related to quantum mechanics or electromagnetic repulsion.
Rlam90
Suppose we have two Gaussian distributions with means A and B. These systems have probability P at time T to be located at X. These are the probability distributions of a simple one-dimensional Wiener process.

M=mean

P(M,T)=1/sqrt(2*pi*T) * exp(-(X-M)^2/(2*T))

So:

P(A, T)=1/sqrt(2*pi*T) * exp(-(X-A)^2/(2*T))
P(B, T)=1/sqrt(2*pi*T) * exp(-(X-B)^2/(2*T))

(Now I know the language I use here may not be technically correct, but I'll give it a shot)

This is the probability distribution of A being at X and B not being at X.

P(A, B, T)=1/sqrt(2*pi*T) * exp(-(X-A)^2/(2*T)) * (1 - 1/sqrt(2*pi*T) * exp(-(X-B)^2/(2*T)))

Mind I am not trying to describe an actual system in this equation... I am simply stating a probability distribution. I'm actually looking to determine what process this distribution would be related to. Any help?

Interesting note: an evolution of this distribution leads to the means diverging at a rate I have not yet determined. It looks a lot like electromagnetic repulsion to me and I have a feeling I'm meandering around topics related to Quantum Mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Particles do not have a probability of being in a particular place (X) at a particular time (T). What you are probably looking at is a probability density. In this case the probability of being in a neighborhood (of radius d) of X (looking at time independent case for simplicity) is
integral(x = X - d/2 to x = X + d/2)p(x)dx

Now what do you think the probability is of not being in this neighborhood?

1 - the integral above, not 1 - p(x)

so, your question has no answer, as stated, as the precursory probabilities are wrong.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to investigate and understand phenomena in the natural world. It involves making observations, forming hypotheses, designing and conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions.

What is the difference between observation and inference?

Observation is the act of using our senses to gather information about the world around us. Inference is an explanation or interpretation of those observations. Observations are objective and can be verified by others, while inferences are subjective and may vary between individuals.

What is the role of a control group in an experiment?

A control group is a group in an experiment that is not exposed to the experimental treatment. Its purpose is to provide a baseline for comparison with the experimental group, which receives the treatment. This allows scientists to determine if any changes observed in the experimental group are due to the treatment or other factors.

What are the steps of the scientific method?

The steps of the scientific method include making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. Some variations may also include additional steps such as peer review and replication of experiments.

How do scientists ensure the validity and reliability of their findings?

Scientists ensure the validity and reliability of their findings by following rigorous experimental design, conducting statistical analyses, and using controls and other measures to reduce bias and error. They also undergo peer review, where other experts in the field critically evaluate their research before it is published.