Finding Momentum Mean & Variance from Wavefunction

In summary: But you have the solution in momentum space. Since ##\hat{H}=\hat{p}^2/(2m)## in momentum space the Schrödinger equation reads$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \phi(p,t)=\frac{p^2}{2m} \phi(p,t)$$with the solution$$\phi(p,t)=\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} p^2 t}{2m \hbar} \right) \phi_0(p).$$Correspondingly the momentum distribution doesn't change,$$|\phi(
Kashmir
I've a Gaussian momentum space wavefunction as ##\phi(p)=\left(\frac{1}{2 \pi \beta^{2}}\right)^{1 / 4} e^{-\left(p-p_{0}\right)^{2} / 4 \beta^{2}}##

So that ##|\phi(p)|^{2}=\frac{e^{-\left(p-p_{0}\right)^{2} / 2 \beta^{2}}}{\beta \sqrt{2 \pi}}##

Also then ##\psi(x, t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi {\hbar}}} \int_{-\infty}^{} \phi(p) e^{i px/ {\hbar} } e^{-i p^{2} t / 2 m
{\hbar} } d p##

hence ##\phi(p, t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi h}} \int_{}^{} \psi(x, t) e^{-i px / {\hbar} } d x##I want to find ##\langle p\rangle## and ##\Delta p## at any time ##t##. I can use the momentum or position wavefunction to do that, however I'm getting large number of integrals.

Is there any quicker way to find them in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
Is there any quicker way to find them in this case?
Probably not. In any case, you have to learn to work with these integrals and Fourier transforms.

If you work in momentum space, then you need the momentum-space version of the SDE to get the time-dependent wave-function. Perhaps that is simplest?

Likes Kashmir
PeroK said:
Probably not. In any case, you have to learn to work with these integrals and Fourier transforms.

If you work in momentum space, then you need the momentum-space version of the SDE to get the time-dependent wave-function. Perhaps that is simplest?
Thank you. :)

But you have the solution in momentum space. Since ##\hat{H}=\hat{p}^2/(2m)## in momentum space the Schrödinger equation reads
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \phi(p,t)=\frac{p^2}{2m} \phi(p,t)$$
with the solution
$$\phi(p,t)=\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} p^2 t}{2m \hbar} \right) \phi_0(p).$$
Correspondingly the momentum distribution doesn't change,
$$|\phi(p,t)|^2=|\phi_0(p)|^2.$$

• Informative
Likes Kashmir
vanhees71 said:
But you have the solution in momentum space. Since ##\hat{H}=\hat{p}^2/(2m)## in momentum space the Schrödinger equation reads
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \phi(p,t)=\frac{p^2}{2m} \phi(p,t)$$
with the solution
$$\phi(p,t)=\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} p^2 t}{2m \hbar} \right) \phi_0(p).$$
Correspondingly the momentum distribution doesn't change,
$$|\phi(p,t)|^2=|\phi_0(p)|^2.$$
I've not done Schrodinger equation in momentum space but this is my attempt. If it's wrong please tell me:

By operation of a momentum bra on first equation we've the second one

##\begin{aligned} i \hbar \frac{d}{d t}|\psi\rangle &=\frac{1}{2 m} \hat{p}^{2}|\psi\rangle \\ i{\hbar} \frac{d}{d t} \phi(p, t) &=\frac{1}{2 m}\left\langle p\left|\hat{p}^{2}\right| \psi\right\rangle \end{aligned}##Now ##\langle p|\hat{p} \cdot \hat{p}| \psi\rangle## can be evaluated by noting that ##p<p \mid=\langle p| \hat{p}##

So We get ##i \hbar \frac{d}{d t} \phi(p ,t)=(p^{2}/2m). \phi(p,t)##

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK

1. How do you find the momentum mean from a wavefunction?

To find the momentum mean from a wavefunction, you need to use the formula: p = ∫Ψ* (x) * (-iħ) * (∂Ψ(x)/∂x) dx This formula represents the expectation value of momentum, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ∂Ψ(x)/∂x is the derivative of the wavefunction with respect to position.

2. What is the significance of finding the momentum mean from a wavefunction?

The momentum mean from a wavefunction is significant because it gives us information about the average momentum of a particle described by the wavefunction. This can help us understand the behavior and properties of the particle, such as its speed and direction of motion.

3. How do you calculate the variance of momentum from a wavefunction?

The variance of momentum can be calculated using the formula: σ2p = ∫Ψ* (x) * (-iħ) * (∂Ψ(x)/∂x) * (∂Ψ(x)/∂x) dx - (p̅)2 where p̅ is the momentum mean. This formula represents the spread or deviation of the momentum values from the mean.

4. Why is it important to find the variance of momentum from a wavefunction?

The variance of momentum is important because it gives us information about the uncertainty or spread in the momentum values of a particle described by the wavefunction. This can help us understand the behavior and properties of the particle, such as its stability and predictability.

5. Can the momentum mean and variance be found for any type of wavefunction?

Yes, the momentum mean and variance can be found for any type of wavefunction as long as it satisfies the conditions of being square-integrable and continuous. These conditions ensure that the wavefunction represents a physical particle and can be used to calculate its momentum properties.