Looking to get a XP-PEN for note-taking at school, is it recommended?

• Thread starter duoqing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary: I haven't tried other note-taking apps on the iPad, but I'm sure they're available.In summary, the XP-Pen graphics tablet is not likely to be faster than taking notes by hand, has setup and other technical issues, and several other note-taking apps are available.
duoqing
I know the XP-PEN graphics tablet is normally for digital artists to draw, but I was looking at tablets to write notes in class, as typing or handwriting can be cumbersome, and came across these products.

Does anyone use this tablet for note-taking, and would you think it would be compatible with programs other than drawing apps for Mac? (ex. One Note, Preview, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It likely won't be faster than taking notes by hand and has the added issue of setup and other technical issues.

Have you tried notability on iPad? It can record audio while you're taking notes that is keyed to the specific note you wrote. Later when reviewing notes tapping on a scribble will rewind the audio to that point.

Whats nice is that you can take minimal notes meaning you can listen more and listen later since its recorded.

I have not battle tested this approach but have played with notability for recording and its great.

https://www.gingerlabs.com/

It has a version for MacOS too. Notability runs on the iPhone as well so you could record with the app and write your notes on paper too since the iphone is a bit small for entering notes although a stylus might help here.

There are numerous alternatives for android although I've never used any of them.

Lastly, iPad has good Chinese handwriting entry/recognition available to all apps.

I use my XP-Pen on an A6 small graphics tablet for notetaking. for plain text and code, typing is obviously a lot faster, but when you don't have the patience to do so otherwise because there's diagrams involved (and there's only so much ascii art you can handle), using a tablet for notes is perfectly feasible.
I've had no problems using or carrying around my XP-Pen, it's vastly thinner than any of my (paper) notebooks, and fits inside the laptop compartment in my bag just fine. I usually put it on top of or lean against the keyboard when I use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is XP-PEN a good option for note-taking in school?

Yes, XP-PEN is a great option for note-taking in school. It is designed specifically for digital writing and drawing, making it a convenient tool for students to take notes and create diagrams or illustrations.

2. Does XP-PEN work with all devices?

XP-PEN is compatible with most devices, including laptops, desktop computers, tablets, and smartphones. However, it is important to check the system requirements before purchasing to ensure that it is compatible with your specific device.

3. Can I use XP-PEN with any note-taking app?

XP-PEN can be used with a variety of note-taking apps, such as Microsoft OneNote, Evernote, and Notability. It also comes with its own note-taking software, XP-PEN Note Plus, which offers various features for a seamless note-taking experience.

4. Is XP-PEN easy to use?

XP-PEN is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It comes with a user manual and online tutorials to help you get started. The pen is also pressure-sensitive, making it feel like you are writing on paper, which can help with the transition from traditional note-taking methods.

5. How long does the battery last on XP-PEN?

The battery life of XP-PEN varies depending on the model, but on average, it can last up to 12 hours of continuous use. It also has a standby time of up to 105 days, so you don't have to worry about running out of battery during your classes or lectures.