Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop quantum cosmology vs string cosmology

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    which of the two is better supported by observational evidence and is more researched?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Right now, they're both just paradigms for generating speculative models, and have no significant data backing them up. Which one a person thinks is better is largely down to personal preference.

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There is a standard version of LQC used by major LQC researchers (e.g. Agullo, Ashtekar, co-authors...). It is consistent with the data, so far, on the early universe. And it also makes predictions which will be testable.
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.05693
    Detailed analysis of the predictions of loop quantum cosmology for the primordial power spectra
    Ivan Agullo, Noah A. Morris
    (Submitted on 18 Sep 2015)
    We provide an exhaustive numerical exploration of the predictions of loop quantum cosmology (LQC) with a post-bounce phase of inflation for the primordial power spectrum of scalar and tensor perturbations. We extend previous analysis by characterizing the phenomenologically relevant parameter space and by constraining it using observations. Furthermore, we characterize the shape of LQC-corrections to observable quantities across this parameter space. Our analysis provides a framework to contrast more accurately the theory with forthcoming polarization data, and it also paves the road for the computation of other observables beyond the power spectra, such as non-Gaussianity.
    24 pages, 5 figures

I think it adds to the confusion to lump "superstring cosmology" and LQC together and suggest that they are in the same boat--or essentially the same situation testing-wise. Actually Kodama's question is a reasonable one to ask and we ought to be able to distinguish, not blur the differences.

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4
    String Cosmology: A Review
    Liam McAllister, Eva Silverstein
    (Submitted on 16 Oct 2007 (v1), last revised 16 Jan 2008 (this version, v2))
    We give an overview of the status of string cosmology. We explain the motivation for the subject, outline the main problems, and assess some of the proposed solutions. Our focus is on those aspects of cosmology that benefit from the structure of an ultraviolet-complete theory.
    Comments: 55 pages. v2: references added
    Subjects: High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th); Astrophysics (astro-ph); High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph)
    Journal reference: Gen.Rel.Grav.40:565-605,2008
    DOI: http://arxiv.org/ct?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdx.doi.org%2F10%252E1007%2Fs10714-007-0556-6&v=4882558e [Broken]
    Report number: SLAC-PUB-12782, SITP-07/17
    Cite as: arXiv:0710.2951 [hep-th]
    (or arXiv:0710.2951v2 [hep-th] for this version)
    Submission history
    [v1] Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:31:49 GMT (60kb)
    [v2] Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:48:12 GMT (61kb

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jan 15, 2016 #5
    marcus can you summarize 2-3 testable predictions?

7. Jan 15, 2016 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hi Kodama, thanks for asking,
    I'll just have to go to the Agullo+Morris paper
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.05693
    Detailed analysis of the predictions of loop quantum cosmology for the primordial power spectra
    and paraphrase or summarize some. Just saw your question and I'm on my way out but will see to it when I get back.

8. Jan 15, 2016 #7
    sure. any chance u can also look at
    String Cosmology: A Review
    Liam McAllister, Eva Silverstein

and compare LQC with string cosmology

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think I'd prefer to continue focusing on the Agullo Morris paper (and the Ashtekar et al papers that led up to it by setting out and establishing this form of LQC).
    Agullo and Morris are using notation and a set of equations governing the pre-inflationary era that were developed by Ashtekar and others in earlier papers which they cite. You might have a look yourself.

I see they use natural (planckian) units with c = G = hbar = 1 and they base everything on a parameter space (φB, m)
    where m is the inflaton mass, and φ is a scalar field which evolves according to a given equation and assumes the value φB at the bounce.

Predictions for all the observable quantities (which might be used in testing) are then derived from particular choice of (φB, m).

So there are allowed regions of the parameter space which are consistent with what has been so far, and regions which have been excluded. You may be familiar with all this if you have already taken a look at the Agullo Morris paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook