Lopsided display Formula and Unbalanced Delimiters

• MHB
  • Thread starter Opalg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: It displays correctly on the Live Demo, but still not in MHB.I'm still getting the same lopsided display.If I enter the same formula in a file using the TeX program (TeXShop) on my computer then it displays correctly. So it seems that the problem has something to do with the way the Mac interacts with MathJax.Can you try it on another site that uses MathJax to ensure the issue is MathJax related in general rather than MHB's implementation of MathJax? You can test it here:MathJax Live DemoIt displays correctly on the Live Demo, but still not in MHB.
Opalg
Gold Member
MHB
A comment by MarkFL in a https://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/how-many-times-do-i-have-increase-3-a-24655.html#post110181 includes this formula:

[MATH]n=\left\lceil\frac{\ln\left(\dfrac{50}{3}\right)}{\ln(1.03)}\right\rceil[/MATH]

On my browser, that formula displays in a strange way:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8304._xfImport
Is that a quirk of my browser, or do other people get the same unbalanced delimiters?

If I replace the ceiling delimiters by brackets then the problem goes away, like this:

\(\displaystyle n=\left[\frac{\ln\left(\dfrac{50}{3}\right)}{\ln(1.03)}\right]\)

An alternative solution (which looks much neater to me) is not to insist that the inner fraction should be in displaystyle:

\(\displaystyle n=\left\lceil\frac{\ln\left(\frac{50}{3}\right)}{\ln(1.03)}\right\rceil\)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 19.02.22.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 19.02.22.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 103
Physics news on Phys.org
Using Firefox, I see:

View attachment 8305

edit: I see the same using Chrome, Edge, and Vivaldi.

Attachments

• mhb_ceil.png
    mhb_ceil.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 86
I get the same lopsided display with Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Maybe it's an Apple Mac problem?

Opalg said:
I get the same lopsided display with Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Maybe it's an Apple Mac problem?

I've never owned or even used an Apple product, so I would only be able to guess about that. :)

This could be my fault. I've been experiment with adding advertising to the site today to help pay for server costs. I just removed something from the postbit location. Do you still notice the same problem?

Jameson said:
This could be my fault. I've been experiment with adding advertising to the site today to help pay for server costs. I just removed something from the postbit location. Do you still notice the same problem?
I'm still getting the same lopsided display. But if I enter the same formula in a file using the TeX program (TeXShop) on my computer then it displays correctly. So it seems that the problem has something to do with the way the Mac interacts with MathJax.

Opalg said:
I'm still getting the same lopsided display. But if I enter the same formula in a file using the TeX program (TeXShop) on my computer then it displays correctly. So it seems that the problem has something to do with the way the Mac interacts with MathJax.

Can you try it on another site that uses MathJax to ensure the issue is MathJax related in general rather than MHB's implementation of MathJax? You can test it here:

MathJax Live Demo

Opalg said:
I see the same thing that you see. I'm using Apple Mac too.

MarkFL said:
Can you try it on another site that uses MathJax to ensure the issue is MathJax related in general rather than MHB's implementation of MathJax? You can test it here:

MathJax Live Demo
It displays correctly on the Live Demo, but still not in MHB.

I seem to recall adding some CSS regarding one or more bracketing symbols in MathJax, but cloudflare now prevents me from accessing the templates so another admin will have to address this.

MarkFL said:
I seem to recall adding some CSS regarding one or more bracketing symbols in MathJax, but cloudflare now prevents me from accessing the templates so another admin will have to address this.

Mark, have you tried logging into another Admin account to test if it would work then? If I create a dummy Admin account is it worth a shot?

Jameson said:
Mark, have you tried logging into another Admin account to test if it would work then? If I create a dummy Admin account is it worth a shot?

I tried using anemone's account, and was still locked out. You'd have to search through the "additional.css" template to find any MathJax specific CSS I added years ago. You should find some selectors specific to brackets, I think.

Jameson said:
I've been experiment with adding advertising to the site today to help pay for server costs.

What is the cost of this? If you're able to share.

Joppy said:
What is the cost of this? If you're able to share.

Gladly. I'm thinking about opening this topic up site wide to figure out ways to make the site pay for itself.

Our server costs roughly \$55 a month. Domain registration is \$20 per year. Other random coding costs can range from \$20-\$500 but those are rare and not what I would consider part of operating costs. In my opinion once we have enough money to keep the site running each money I can disable ads until the next month, or do it in bigger batches.

MarkFL said:
I tried using anemone's account, and was still locked out. You'd have to search through the "additional.css" template to find any MathJax specific CSS I added years ago. You should find some selectors specific to brackets, I think.

It seems to me that we should try to get to the bottom of this.
First step, I think, is to try to confirm/isolate where the problem is.
Apparent candidates are:
  1. Something unknown in your local configuration. Can you reproduce from a different computer?
  2. Or when using a different provider?
  3. Cloudflare. Can we somehow confirm that Cloudflare is an issue?

I like Serena said:
It seems to me that we should try to get to the bottom of this.
First step, I think, is to try to confirm/isolate where the problem is.
Apparent candidates are:
  1. Something unknown in your local configuration. Can you reproduce from a different computer?
  2. Or when using a different provider?
  3. Cloudflare. Can we somehow confirm that Cloudflare is an issue?

I have logged into his account from my computer and it works fine, so it seems to be isolated to his computer or his IP. Right now I am actually looking at competitors for Cloudflare that will actually offer support so maybe that will help.

Jameson said:
I have logged into his account from my computer and it works fine, so it seems to be isolated to his computer or his IP. Right now I am actually looking at competitors for Cloudflare that will actually offer support so maybe that will help.

To be honest, I don't get how Cloudflare might be an issue, but perhaps I'm missing something.
As I see it, we just need all https (port 443) traffic to get through.
And maybe some http (port 80) traffic, if there are still some left-overs.
If both are properly passed through, it seems to me that we should be good - Cloudflare or not.
Can someone clarify how Cloudflare might be an issue?

Then again, as I said, I think we first need to isolate where the problem occurs before trying to understand how or why it happens.

Ckoudflare (apparently) causes issues on other pages here for at least one other user. I guess the only way to be sure though would be to disable cloudflare, and then see if the issue persists. I have admin access on several other vB 4.2.x sites, which are not running cloudflare, and I have no such issues there.

MarkFL said:
Ckoudflare (apparently) causes issues on other pages here for at least one other user. I guess the only way to be sure though would be to disable cloudflare, and then see if the issue persists. I have admin access on several other vB 4.2.x sites, which are not running cloudflare, and I have no such issues there.

I'd still like to know...
  • Can you reproduce from a different computer?
  • Can you reproduce when using a different provider?
If you have trouble verifying either of those, I might be able to set up a 'jumpbox', which should forward all https and http connections to MHB through my own connection.

I like Serena said:
I'd still like to know...
  • Can you reproduce from a different computer?
  • Can you reproduce when using a different provider?
If you have trouble verifying either of those, I might be able to set up a 'jumpbox', which should forward all https and http connections to MHB through my own connection.

I don't have access to a different computer/provider. I think the simplest thing would be to just disable cloudflare and see what happens.

Related to Lopsided display Formula and Unbalanced Delimiters

1. What is a lopsided display formula?

A lopsided display formula is a mathematical expression that is not centered on the display line and instead appears to be leaning to one side. This can happen when there are unequal amounts of symbols or numbers on either side of the equation, making it visually unbalanced.

2. What causes a lopsided display formula?

A lopsided display formula can be caused by a variety of factors, such as using different font sizes or styles for different parts of the equation, using multiple levels of subscripts or superscripts, or using unevenly sized parentheses or brackets.

3. How can I fix a lopsided display formula?

To fix a lopsided display formula, you can try adjusting the font sizes or styles to make them more consistent, using proper spacing and alignment for subscripts and superscripts, and ensuring that the parentheses or brackets are evenly sized and placed.

4. What are unbalanced delimiters?

Unbalanced delimiters are symbols used in mathematical expressions, such as parentheses, brackets, or braces, that are not properly matched or closed. This can result in an error or an incorrect calculation.

5. How can I avoid unbalanced delimiters?

To avoid unbalanced delimiters, it is important to always double-check your mathematical expressions to ensure that all delimiters are properly matched and closed. You can also use software or tools that automatically check for and correct any unbalanced delimiters in your equations.