Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost in the physics forum website

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    Wish I could find the answer elsewhere, but not making progress. Got a message that someone wanted to "friend" me, so I went there and said yes. Discovered while there that someone else had made such a request, which I never got. And I can't figure out how to get back to wherever that is.

How do I find the people who requested to be a friend? And how do I get the messages that they did so?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Friend requests just "appear" there are no related messages, unless the person has also sent you a separate message.

Personally, I don't "friend" anyone that I don't know, even though here it doesn't actually do anything.

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And after all the years. :cry:

5. Dec 14, 2013 #4

Evo

Well, we're actual friends. :approve:

6. Dec 14, 2013 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's why I could actually tell my feeling. :thumbs:

7. Dec 15, 2013 #6

Borek

Go to "My PF" (link in the top menu) and select "Contacts & Friends" on the left.

8. Dec 15, 2013 #7
    HI Borek,

I had already tried that. It indicates the friend request I accepted, but does not show the missing one.

9. Dec 15, 2013 #8

Evo

How, exactly, do you know you are missing a request? That can help us understand what happened.

10. Dec 15, 2013 #9

Borek

Some people register just to post something spammy, send some requests, posts a few visitor messages, and then they never come back. I guess they do most of the things to pretend they are "normal" members, but the only real reason they got here is to spam. We ban them routinely. As the member is banned, request is not shown.

Doesn't have to be what have happened, but that would be a logical, and not that improbable explanation.

11. Dec 15, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Lady of Shalott. I often wondered what difference friending makes and why nothing ever came of our friendship. :!!)

12. Dec 15, 2013 #11
    I do see the logic of that. But why in the world would anyone bother to do such a thing? I realize some people are bored, but surely there is something more interesting to do than post spam on a physics website. Polishing doorknobs, maybe?

13. Dec 15, 2013 #12

Drakkith

It's because she has you in the "friend zone". Sorry, buddy.

To troll, to fight boredom, to spam, etc.

14. Dec 15, 2013 #13

Borek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamdexing

15. Dec 15, 2013 #14

Evo

After we became PF *friends*, I waited outside my front door holding my lantern for what seemed days. You never came for me. :cry:

16. Dec 15, 2013 #15

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dang! I never expected my GPS wouldn't work properly in that damn boat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook