Lost Post on Hubble, Gaia & JWT: What Happened?

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved the deletion of a thread about a homework assignment that was not properly placed in the appropriate forum. The original poster did not make an effort to approach the problem and the loss of another poster's response was a side effect. The mentor who deleted the thread apologized for not informing the other posters beforehand.
pinball1970
Gold Member
I posted a link on Hubble and Gaia and I was going to add something relating to JWT
I think it was a homework assignment?
I cannot find it, was it removed for some reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
It was the entire thread that has been deleted because it was homework. I would have moved it into the appropriate homework forum instead if the OP had made any bit of effort to approach his problem.

Your post gave the link to the corresponding Wikipedia article of OP's question. This is what we demand to do the least before opening a thread on PF, and it's explicitly stated in our rules.

The loss of your post was a side effect. Please report such threads in the future instead of answering them. Even if it's only a more or less obvious link.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby, Astronuc, jim mcnamara and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
It was the entire thread that has been deleted because it was homework. I had moved it into the appropriate homework forum instead if the OP would have made any bit of effort to approach his problem.

Your post basically gave the link to the corresponding Wikipedia article of OP's question. This is what we demand to do the least before opening a thread on PF, and it's explicitly stated in our rules.

The loss of your post was a side effect. Please report such threads in the future instead of answering them. Even if it's only a more or less obvious link.
Ah ok. Thanks

Likes dlgoff and jim mcnamara
With my mentor hat on, I occasionally delete a thread that is a homework-type question that is 1) misplaced in a forum section other than the homework ones, and 2) shows no effort. If others have posted in the thread before I got to it, I try to make it a practice to let the other posters know what happened to their posts.

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and pinball1970

1. What caused the post to go missing on Hubble, Gaia & JWT?

The post went missing due to a technical error on the website. The website's servers experienced a malfunction, causing the post to be deleted.

2. Can the post be retrieved?

Yes, the post has been retrieved and is now back on the website. The technical issue has been resolved and steps have been taken to prevent it from happening again in the future.

3. Was any important information lost during the post's disappearance?

No, the post did not contain any important or sensitive information. It was a regular update on the progress of the Hubble, Gaia & JWT projects.

4. How will this incident affect the progress of the Hubble, Gaia & JWT projects?

This incident will not have any significant impact on the progress of the projects. The teams are still working diligently towards their goals and this technical issue has not affected their work.

5. What measures will be taken to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future?

The website's servers will undergo a thorough check and any necessary updates or improvements will be made to prevent similar incidents from occurring. The team will also implement a backup system to ensure that important posts are not lost in the future.