Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error: Trapezoid Method in Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Trapezoid Method in approximating population counts for wolves and moose over time. The speaker mentions the use of different 'h' values and the expected decrease in error as 'h' gets smaller. However, the plotted graph of 'h' values vs. error has a slope of 1 instead of the expected 2, indicating a possible confusion between local and global error estimates. The speaker asks for suggestions on how to obtain localized error.
gpax42
I'm trying to calculate the error of the Trapezoid Method in my population approximations for wolves and moose over time given certain parameters. Ultimately what i need to do is perform a series of trapezoid approximations using different 'h' values. Each successive 'h' value I use is half the previous value which can be seen in my code below. As my 'h' value gets smaller, the error between successive final population counts of moose and wolves should also be decreasing. Due to the trapezoid method's order of accuracy, i should expect the log-log graph of the 'h-values' vs. 'error' to have a slope of 2. However, mine still has a slope of 1. I know deciphering my code is a pain, but I'd be extremely grateful to anyone that can point me in the right direction... Thanks a million!

%% Trapezoid Error

T = 50;

N = 50;
h = T/N;
w = [20]; %taken from wolf population data
m = [563]; %taken from moose population data

%parameters calculated by least squares for the lotka-volterra equation

c = [-0.0496 -0.0001 -0.1796 -0.0071];
c1 = c(1);
c2 = c(2);
c3 = c(3);
c4 = c(4);

%anonymous function assignments for the two differential equations defined by lotka-volterra

f1 = @(w,m) (c1*w - c2*w*m);
f2 = @(w,m) (-c3*m + c4*w*m);

for i = 1:13
for n = 1:N
w_pred = w(end) + h*f1(w(end),m(end));
m_pred = m(end) + h*f2(w(end),m(end));
w(end+1) = w(end) + h/2*(f1(w(end),m(end)) + f1(w_pred,m_pred));
m(end+1) = m(end) + h/2*(f2(w(end),m(end)) + f2(w_pred,m_pred));
end
wfinal(i) = w(length(w));
mfinal(i) = m(length(m));
hval(i) = h;
h = h/2;

%once the 13th iteration is complete, plot the data, otherwise, perform iterations again with halved 'h' value

if i == 13
TrapError = abs(wfinal(2:end) - wfinal(1:end-1)) + abs(mfinal(2:end) - mfinal(1:end-1));
loglog(hval(2:end),TrapError,'s-');
xlabel('h-value')
ylabel('Trapezoid Error')
title('Error from Trapezoid Approx')
grid on
return
end

w = [20];
m = [563];
end

Physics news on Phys.org
gpax42 said:
Each successive 'h' value I use is half the previous value which can be seen in my code below. As my 'h' value gets smaller, the error between successive final population counts of moose and wolves should also be decreasing. Due to the trapezoid method's order of accuracy, i should expect the log-log graph of the 'h-values' vs. 'error' to have a slope of 2. However, mine still has a slope of 1.

Are you confusing local and global error estimates?

The local error estimate for one step is Ah^2 (where A is a constant).

But the number of steps for the integration is B/h (were B is another constant)

So the global error estimate (Ah^2)(B/h) = ABh.

I haven't read your code in detail, so apologies if this is irrelevant!

Thank you for the helpful response
:smile:
since I'm plotting the loglog of the difference between my final population values(global error) that resulted from halving my h-value, i believe youre correct in noting that my graph should have a slope of 1.

This, however, begs the question of how to get localized error. My approach once again produced a slope of 1... any further suggestions

What is the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error?

The Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error is a measure of the accuracy of the solution obtained using the trapezoid method in Matlab for solving the Lotka-Volterra equations. It represents the difference between the actual solution and the approximate solution obtained using the trapezoid method.

How is the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error calculated?

The Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error is calculated by taking the absolute difference between the actual solution and the approximate solution at each time step, and then summing up these differences over the entire time period.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error, including the choice of step size in the trapezoid method, the initial conditions of the system, and the accuracy of the numerical integration method used in Matlab.

What are some ways to reduce the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error?

To reduce the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error, one can try using a smaller step size in the trapezoid method, improving the accuracy of the initial conditions, and using a higher-order numerical integration method in Matlab.

Why is it important to consider the Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error in scientific research?

The Lotka-Volterra Approximate Solution Error is important because it allows us to assess the accuracy of our solutions to the Lotka-Volterra equations and understand the limitations of our numerical methods. It also helps us identify areas where we can improve our methods and make more accurate predictions in scientific research.