Crank-Nicholson solution of 1D heat equation

In summary, the author used the Crank-Nicholson scheme to numerically solve the 1D heat equation. They used a boundary condition matrix and solved the system for the new time step.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
I wish to numerically compute solutions of the 1D heat equation using the Crank-Nicholson scheme:

The equation is:
[tex]
\partial_{t}u=\partial^{2}_{x}u
[/tex]

I use the discretisation:
[tex]
u_{i+1,j}-u_{i,j}=s(u_{i+1,j+1}-2u_{i+1,j}+u_{i+1,j-1})+s(u_{i+1,j+1}-2u_{i+1,j}+u_{i+1,j-1})
[/tex]

Where [itex]s=\delta t/2\delta x[/itex]. This can be rearranged into the following:
[tex]
su_{i+1,j+1}-(2s+1)u_{i+1,j}+su_{i+1,j-1}=-su_{i,j+1}+(2s-1)u_{i,j}-su_{i,j-1}
[/tex]

This is a matrix equation which is tridiagonal and can be solved very easily using matlab's many inbuilt functions.

So suppose I wish to use the following boundary conditions [itex]\partial_{x}u(t,0)=\partial_{x}u(t,L)=0[/itex] how would I go about doing it? I've heard about people going from an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix to an [itex](n-2)\times (n-2)[/itex], solving that and just adding in the boundary conditions after that? I tried that method but my solution blew up annoyingly.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? My code is here:

Code:
%This program is meant to test out the Crank-Nicolson scheme using a simple
%nonlinear diffusion scheme.
n=2000;m=30;
t=linspace(0,20,n);% set time and distance scales
x=linspace(0,1,m);
dx=x(2)-x(1);dt=t(2)-t(1); %Increments
s=dt/(2*dx^2);%Useful for the solution.
u=zeros(n,m); %set up solution matrix
p=s*ones(1,m-1); q=-(1+2*s)*ones(1,m);
Z=diag(p,1)+diag(p,-1)+diag(q);
A=Z(2:m-1,2:m-1);
%Add in intial condition:
u(1,:)=exp(-5*(x-0.5).^2);
v=zeros(m-2,1);
%Solve the system
for i=2:n-1
    %Construct the RHS for the solution
    for j=2:m-1
        v(j-1)=s*u(i-1,j+1)-(2*s+1)*u(i-1,j)-s*u(i-1,j-1);
    end
    %Solve for the new time step
    w=A\v;
    u(i,2:m-1)=w;
    u(i,1)=u(i,2);
    u(i,end)=u(i,end-1);
end

Physics news on Phys.org
A common fall is to use first order finite difference for the derivative boundary condition. Use a 3 points formula instead. I don't know how that can be embedded in the solution for the transient problem though.

It shouldn't matter with the transient problem as we're just dealing with boundary conditions. so you're suggesting I use something like:

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\approx\frac{u_{i,j+1}-u_{i,j-1}}{2\delta x}
[/tex]

That's the accuracy you're referring to right?

The code is now working and I have also solved the following extension of the simple heat equation:

[tex]
\rho c\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(k(x)\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)+\dot{Q}
[/tex]

1. What is the crank-nicholson method?

The crank-nicholson method is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations, specifically the 1D heat equation. It is a combination of the forward Euler method and the backward Euler method, making it a second-order accurate method.

2. How does the crank-nicholson method work?

The crank-nicholson method works by discretizing the 1D heat equation into a finite difference equation. It then uses the values at the current time step and the next time step to approximate the solution at a half time step in between. This process is repeated until the solution reaches the desired time.

3. What are the advantages of using the crank-nicholson method?

The crank-nicholson method has several advantages, including its second-order accuracy, which results in a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods. It is also unconditionally stable, meaning it can handle large time steps without the solution diverging. Additionally, it is a conservative method, meaning it preserves the total energy of the system.

4. What are the limitations of the crank-nicholson method?

One limitation of the crank-nicholson method is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for systems with a large number of grid points. It also requires a large amount of memory to store the values at each time step. Additionally, it may not be suitable for solving nonlinear heat equations.

5. How is the crank-nicholson method implemented?

The crank-nicholson method can be implemented using coding languages such as MATLAB, Python, or Fortran. The first step is to discretize the 1D heat equation into a finite difference equation. Then, an algorithm is used to solve the equation at each time step, utilizing the values at the current and next time step. The solution can be visualized using graphs or plots to analyze the behavior of the system over time.