1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Love Theory, But Need to Pay the Rent

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    ____

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2
    Knowing nothing about Theo. Chem., I am hesitant to say much about what you would be missing.

One thing that strikes me, is your statement that you will have "gained practical experience in programming, data analysis, and Linux administration." Is that all you will have gained from your degree? In Hep-Th, you will also gain those skills. Where are recent grads from your school in Hep-Th working? Is that more desirable than your Chem-Th prospects?

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3
    I don't blame you about the job part. It can be very frustrating spending 4+ years doing all this extra schooling, getting out making less than all your friends with BS's, working 4 more years at low pay in a postdoc, etc. I should know, I am doing it now...

Anyways, you will have the added annoyance of what academics like to call the 'two-body' problem. If your husband is also in academics it will be very difficult for both of you to get good jobs in the same place. Just the nature of the beast.

Just something to consider.

On this forum you will hear from people who are unemployed hep-th grads, trying with great difficulty to find employment, to people telling you there is no problem finding jobs with a degree in hep-th. So, take it all with a grain of salt (and maybe some tequila too!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook