1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lunar Lander Formulas for Fuel / Masses

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am currently working on a computer science program which calculates the landing of a craft on a given planet. The user will enter in various known variables. I need some direction on what formulas to use for my program. I am strong in computer science however I haven't seen the formulas for this type of physics in a while and need some direction. Here is what variables the user will be able to "plug" into the equation to calculate the landing..

• The user initializes the program by entering the mass of the planet, mass of the craft, initial mass of fuel,fuel burn efficiency (amount of thrust/unit mass of fuel), initial height of craft above planet, and the initial velocity of the craft. This information will be entered from the keyboard.
    • The height and velocity of the craft will only be in one direction orthogonal to a point on the planet.
    • There are no other component forces acting upon the craft.
    • Assume the planet and the craft are point masses.
    • There are no other masses present.
    • The program will prompt the user for amount of fuel to burn along with the burn time in seconds
    • Appropriate calculations will be performed and the new craft vertical height above the planet and velocity will be displayed.
    • A safe landing is when the craft contacts the surface of the planet within +/- 5m/s.
    • Use the masses of the objects to calculate the force of attractio

2. Relevant equations

Relevant equations would be calculating the accelerations, and point masses

3. The attempt at a solution

i have a program written prompting all of the data from the keyboard however im not sure what to do with the data such as which formulas to use.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?