Lunar super eclipse Sept. 27th. 2015

In summary, the moon was visible in the sky during the partial eclipse, but clouds obscured the view during the majority of the eclipse. The moon was visible in the sky during the partial eclipse, but clouds obscured the view during the majority of the eclipse.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Argggh! Rain forcast for the entire weekend here. :oldfrown:

Borg said:
Argggh! Rain forcast for the entire weekend here. :oldfrown:

Here, too...

I'm ready to drive to the high desert with my solar panels and kid here but so far the Portland area still has a clear weather window for that day in the forecast.

Not very clear as I was with the wife and her friend picking herbal medicines on a hill with just my crappy tablet camera.

Moon rise near Mt. Hood on the day before the Super Blood Moon.
21754362091_6c84d88133_z_d.jpg

21745002015_2a0703b439_b_d.jpg

Likes DennisN and hagar
Unfortunately, not going to see the eclipse from Australia
didn't see the last 3 because of cloud, now we have a clear sky but the eclipse isn't visible from this region ( whole Pacific basin)

This is not fair! I live in singapore and it is currently covered in haze and cannot see the clouds.:(

here's the Super Moon, 30 mins ago from Sydney, just a few hours away from full
waiting till midnite 'ish time for full isn't going to happen haha and also much harder to photo as it will be pretty much directly overhead ( just a little west of)

Canon 5D mk3 with the 100 - 400mm telephoto Canon EF 100–400mm lens and a x2 teleconverter giving 800mm, 320th sec, ISO500, f11
2015_09_27_4223sm.gif

Dave

Likes russ_watters, hagar and DennisN
The forecast in my area is now cloudy to mostly cloudy. Maybe there will be a chance.

If I am awake that late I'll try to take some pictures of it (with my comparatively shoddy equipment)...:-p Edit: The forecast in my area is excellent, but the forecast of my sleepiness is uncertain. Hopefully my photographic desire will prevail...:smile:

Likes davenn
7pm and I have clear skies directly overhead. Maybe I'll get lucky at 10 pm.

The weather conditions at my location are absolutely perfect right now. But my camera is not :cry: :smile:. But I will definitely take some photos when it's time.

The moon started to move into the partial shadow now.

Likes davenn
mfb said:
The moon started to move into the partial shadow now.
I confirm that from my position :smile:.

Houston, I'm getting pictures from my shoddy equipment. Will post here later. Is the Moon really there when nobody is looking? Don't know, but it is definitely there since I'm looking at it at the moment. EDIT: Gosh, it's getting really beautiful at the moment! :woot:

Will the world FINALLY end this time? I'm getting so tired of waiting.

Horrible conditions here. Just getting the tiniest peeks between large groups of clouds.

Borg said:
Horrible conditions here. Just getting the tiniest peeks between large groups of clouds.
I'm sorry...

DennisN said:
I'm sorry...
Me too. Looks like I'll have to count on seeing everyone else's pictures.

Algr said:
Will the world FINALLY end this time? I'm getting so tired of waiting.
Blood moon and the world is still there... at least here.
Nice to watch, just a bit of fog here.

Borg said:
Me too. Looks like I'll have to count on seeing everyone else's pictures.
I will have some to post in this thread later. But they are only from a basic digital camera, 10x optical zoom, 40x digital zoom.

A sneak preview (hopefully I will have some better...):
21747190216_e9e8a1da07_b.jpg

Likes hagar, Greg Bernhardt and davenn
I got out of an indoor soccer game with about 15min to go and it was really nice!

Likes DennisN and davenn
The clouds drifted off so...
DSC00066.jpg

Likes nsaspook, davenn, jim hardy and 3 others
Held Fair Anne's Ipad up to telescope eyepiece

looking forward to you guys's good photos

Eclipse2.JPG

Likes davenn, hagar, DennisN and 1 other person
The full eclipse is over, the LHC has been running the whole time (http://press.web.cern.ch/backgrounders/cern-answers-your-queries-about-23-september-2015), and the world didn't end yet.
Something went wrong! We have to wait until October 7th for the next end of the world.

Likes davenn and DennisN
mfb said:
The full eclipse is over, the LHC has been running the whole time (http://press.web.cern.ch/backgrounders/cern-answers-your-queries-about-23-september-2015), and the world didn't end yet.
At least in the MWI branch we are at the moment...

Likes mfb
A short break in the clouds:

DSC00506_zpsbdlabmrj.jpg

Likes mfb, davenn, Borg and 4 others
Andy Resnick said:
A short break in the clouds:
Beautiful!

EDIT: I'm off to bed now. It's nice seeing photos coming in. I'm thinking of maybe doing some montage with the different phases of the eclipse, I took a load of photos. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow and post here later. I wish you all a good night!

Cloudy. Boo. Just a few mediocre pics through little breaks. I have yet to see all of a lunar eclipse in my life.

We have ok conditions.

I went back to the view point of yesterday and the place was a madhouse of people with equipment. Had to leave early before they closed the gates at the bottom on the butte.

21774030095_35f3b52c75_b_d.jpg

There was too much light for good shots of the blood moon rise over the mountain early today. My best early shot.

21762326142_dec71de947_b_d.jpg

21762330542_359569831e_b_d.jpg

It was left of those houses but was too faint to get a shot until it was much darker and higher up. Poor Hood has almost no snow now..

Likes DennisN, davenn and hagar
21152374434_34735b129b_b_d.jpg

21152373184_a881a44293_b_d.jpg

21775068395_f3b393141f_b_d.jpg

21763366822_67d9911020_b_d.jpg

21154024193_79cfd92b96_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and hagar
Beautiful photos guys! I've got one physical question regarding lunar eclipses.

I know that the moon turns red because of the sunlight passing through our atmosphere which absorbs other frequencies and bending the red wavelength to the moon's direction. But why is it that the moon immediately turns red all of it at once only when it's mostly behind Earth's shadow? I'd expect that as Earth's shadow consumes the moon, the red colored moon surface would gradually increase until it's all red. Instead, the moon is partly black first by Earth's shadow until it's almost completely black just to turn all red immediately. Why is that?

thanks for everyone posting their pix :smile:

Likes DennisN and Borg