M - M as the distance modulus, and a question about the distance ladder

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter CPW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary, astronomers calibrate the cepheid variable stars to a standard candle of luminosity vs period to determine their absolute magnitude. M is the absolute magnitude of the star, and from that we can calculate the distance to the star.
CPW
TL;DR Summary
I'm attempting to understand fully the distance ladder we use in astronomy to determine the distance to stars that are too far away for parallax to work.
I'm attempting to understand fully the distance ladder we use in astronomy to determine the distance to stars that are too far away for parallax to work. I understand we calibrate to a standard candle data of period vs luminosity for the cepheid variable stars in a group. Then from knowing the absolute magnitude M we can use the distance modulus equation involving the term m - M to figure out the absolute distance.

But am I understanding this correctly?
m = apparent magnitude as it the brightness of the star as it appears with the telescope
M = absolute magnitude, which is determined by... What?

Ok, that's the gap in my knowledge about this subject.
How do we know absolute brightness of a distant star?
And how does the period versus luminosity graph determine absolute magnitude? (Isn't that luminosity a relative measurement?)

Please forgive the nativity of my question.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
CPW said:
M = absolute magnitude, which is determined by... What?

CPW said:
I understand we calibrate to a standard candle data of period vs luminosity for the cepheid variable stars in a group.

And there you go.

Absolute magnitude is a measure of the luminosity, so there is a relationship between them, and you can easily compute one from the other. You just need to supply some star as a reference. For example, if you know luminosity and apparent magnitude of Sun, you can compute the apparent magnitude of any star (knowing its luminosity):
##M = M_{Sun} - 2.5 \log_{10} \left( \frac{L}{L_{Sun}} \right)##
See here for more details.

It is useful to realize that absolute magnitude (and luminosity) are somehow intrinsic properties of a star, whereas apparent magnitude (and radiant flux) depends on the distance between the star and the observer.

Likes etotheipi and CPW
Thank you for the explanation.

Likes lomidrevo
There is a similar method which involves supernovae in distant galaxies, The time profile relates to the absolute magnitude and 'off you go' again.

Absoulte magnitude is defined to be the apparent magnitude that the star would have if it were exactly 10 parsecs away. As others have said, it is an intrinsic property of the star. To know the absolute magnitude of a distant star, we need to know how far away it is by some method. Did your questions get answered?

Hi phyzguy.

Yes. The gap in my knowledge about this topic is no longer there. I think I just needed to settle on the fact that the period - luminosity relationship of cephiad variable stars was a discovery. A revealing of a fact of nature, discovered by Henrietta Leavitt.

The comments and references the PF members sent to me were helpful too.
Understanding the idea of absolute vs relative measurements in my own work (radiation dosimetry) was helpful for me in understanding what astronomers do in establishing an absolute standard. And in agreeing on a definition.

This website was also helpful to me:
https://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/...photometry_magnitude.html#magnmagcalculations

So, luminosity and absolute mangnitude are the same thing.
So, the distance modulus equation and the standard candle of the cephiad variables are well established with scientific rigor. I never really doubted that.
And, if I had to explain this concept to my kids, I think now that I could.

Thanks!

Likes phyzguy

1. What is the distance modulus?

The distance modulus, denoted as M, is a measure of the difference in brightness between two celestial objects. It is used to calculate the distance to a celestial object by comparing its observed brightness to its intrinsic brightness.

2. How is the distance modulus calculated?

The distance modulus is calculated using the equation M = m - M, where m is the apparent magnitude and M is the absolute magnitude of the celestial object. The absolute magnitude is the intrinsic brightness of the object, while the apparent magnitude is the observed brightness from Earth.

3. What is the significance of the distance modulus in astronomy?

The distance modulus is a crucial tool in determining the distances to celestial objects, which is essential for understanding the scale and structure of the universe. It is also used in the calculation of other important astronomical quantities, such as the luminosity and size of objects.

4. What is the distance ladder in astronomy?

The distance ladder is a method used by astronomers to determine the distances to celestial objects. It involves using a series of techniques, each building on the previous one, to calculate distances. The distance modulus is an important component of the distance ladder.

5. How does the distance ladder help us understand the universe?

The distance ladder allows us to accurately measure the distances to celestial objects, which is crucial for understanding the size and structure of the universe. It also helps us to determine the expansion rate of the universe, which can provide insights into its past and future evolution.