M.S. Physics/EE - Is it worth doing?

• Thread starter physics4fun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's interest in pursuing a science degree and the advice given to them by their co-workers. The speaker works with electrical engineers, physicists, and mathematicians and has a degree in psychology. They are interested in taking science and math courses, but their local universities do not offer second bachelor's degrees in science fields. The co-workers advise the speaker to pursue other activities like smoking pot and chasing women instead of pursuing a science degree, citing the decline of the engineering field and the belief that the speaker will not use what they learn in school. The speaker has questions about the job prospects for someone with a Master's degree in physics and if they should focus on physics instead of electrical engineering. The conversation ends with
physics4fun
I work primarily with electrical engineers, physicists, and mathematicians. I have a degree in psychology and I have been taking a few classes per semester in lower division science/math courses; e.g., I am taking multi-variable calculus this semester. Both of the local universities San Diego State University and UCSD in my city do not grant second bachelor's degrees in science fields. The reasoning being that I already had my shot and I would be taking up the spot of someone who hadn't had the opportunity to go to college. Fair enough. SDSU has told me that I must apply for a graduate program (in this case EE) in order to get be considered but must have taken most of the courses out of their undegraduate curriculum.

My co-workers have offerred the following advice:

"You're wasting your time. You'd be better off smoking pot and watching episodes of Survivor."

"You should be at the beach staring at *@*#$@# and @#$@#$."

"Engineering is on the decline and it is a global market. Someone else can do your job for half as cheap and twice as efficient."

"You'll never use any of that crap."

"Go out and chase women instead."

"It doesn't matter, you have a steady government job and no one ever uses what they learned in school."

I have the following questions: Why do so many people who have engineering degrees (people whom I would consider intelligent) say such things?

Are they right in any sense?

I find that I'm interested more in physics than EE. What are the job prospects for people with an M.S. in physics from a school like SDSU and am I better off smoking pot and watching episodes of Survivor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres been a good sicussion of the job market for science (physics) and engineering degrees. this is a good debate a few weeks ago. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220618

Yea outsourcing is a huge problem. Maybe ur co-workers are right. Also, form my job hunt for physics jobs...it's REALLY HARD to find one, and if there is one, you're going to face huge amounts of competition. Tons of apps for one spot.

but check out the thread, see if it answers ur questions.

A MS in EE will offer many, many more job opportunities than a BS alone. An MS in physics, however, usually a consolation prize offered to those can't hack a PhD program. :frown:

- Warren

Hello,

I've BS physics Penn State '74 and MS NucE '78, also a CompSci MS from RPI. To me physics was the most interesting, because you've just exploring nature, not running a power plant or getting an accounts payable program, that pays thousands opf vendors, to run every night. Anyway, you have to go in at the graduate EE level (I suggest) and slug it out as best as you can. I've only heard of one history major, who upon graduation for BS, started over as EE freshman and he took 4 years to complete that BS EE. At least at PSU, many a doctoral student received at least one 'C,' so don't be intimidated. If you are young (under 40) and as you are working with EE types, you can complete the MS EE or even doctorate. You always want to get the most education as you possibly tolerate.

physics4fun said:
I work primarily with electrical engineers, physicists, and mathematicians.

"You're wasting your time. You'd be better off smoking pot and watching episodes of Survivor."

are you serious? engineers, mathematicians and physicists said these things? that's hilarious! i figure they at least encourage you to read or whatever.

physics4fun said:
I work primarily with electrical engineers, physicists, and mathematicians. I have a degree in psychology and I have been taking a few classes per semester in lower division science/math courses; e.g., I am taking multi-variable calculus this semester. Both of the local universities San Diego State University and UCSD in my city do not grant second bachelor's degrees in science fields. The reasoning being that I already had my shot and I would be taking up the spot of someone who hadn't had the opportunity to go to college. Fair enough. SDSU has told me that I must apply for a graduate program (in this case EE) in order to get be considered but must have taken most of the courses out of their undegraduate curriculum.

"You should be at the beach staring at *@*#$@# and @#$@#$."

"Engineering is on the decline and it is a global market. Someone else can do your job for half as cheap and twice as efficient."

"You'll never use any of that crap."

"It doesn't matter, you have a steady government job and no one ever uses what they learned in school."

I have the following questions: Why do so many people who have engineering degrees (people whom I would consider intelligent) say such things?

Are they right in any sense?

I find that I'm interested more in physics than EE. What are the job prospects for people with an M.S. in physics from a school like SDSU and am I better off smoking pot and watching episodes of Survivor?

Have you considered the possibility that these "advisors" recognize your potential and are concerned that they will be working for you one day if you earn a degree and remove the glass ceiling that is currently holding you down?

Michael Courtney

1. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in M.S. Physics/EE?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for someone with a degree in M.S. Physics/EE, including roles in research and development, engineering, consulting, and academia. Some specific job titles may include physicist, electrical engineer, data analyst, electronics design engineer, and professor.

2. What skills will I gain from pursuing a degree in M.S. Physics/EE?

Pursuing a degree in M.S. Physics/EE will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as practical skills in electrical engineering. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in a variety of industries.

3. How will a degree in M.S. Physics/EE benefit me in the job market?

A degree in M.S. Physics/EE is highly versatile and can open doors to a wide range of job opportunities. Employers value the technical knowledge and analytical skills that come with this degree, and it can also demonstrate your ability to think critically and approach complex problems.

4. Will pursuing a degree in M.S. Physics/EE be challenging?

Like any degree, pursuing M.S. Physics/EE will require hard work and dedication. It is a rigorous and demanding program that will require you to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. However, with dedication and determination, it can also be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

5. Is a degree in M.S. Physics/EE worth the time and financial investment?

The value of a degree in M.S. Physics/EE will ultimately depend on your personal goals and career aspirations. It is important to consider the potential career opportunities and salary potential in your desired field, as well as the personal satisfaction and growth that comes with pursuing a degree in this field.