Is it worth doing EVERY problem in a textbook?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of working through a calculus textbook for fun and further understanding, specifically focusing on problems that are purely proofs and do not interest the individual. The conversation raises questions about the benefits of skipping over these problems and whether it is necessary to do every single proof in the textbook. The individual expresses their preference for more interesting problems and suggests that they could continue learning about math that interests them instead. The conversation also mentions examples from other physics students and suggests that the individual could jump ahead or skip problems if they choose to.
XcgsdV
I am a freshman Physics major currently working through Apostol's Calculus Volume 1 in my free time, somewhat to further develop my calculus knowledge, but mainly for fun. Apostol's text is proof-based, and as such has a number of problems that are just proofs. As a hopeful future Biophysicist, proving that the area of a polygon with vertices on lattice points (x and y are integers) can be found by A = I + B/2 - 1, where I is the number of lattice points inside the polygon and B is the number of lattice points on the boundary, simply is not interesting to me. I know I am not beholden to doing every single proof laid before me, but for problems like these—that both do not interest me and where I don't see how the result is directly useful to the study of calculus—what am I losing by skipping over them?

Physics news on Phys.org
XcgsdV said:
in my free time, somewhat to further develop my calculus knowledge, but mainly for fun.
You've answered your own question. You have not indicated that you plan to double major in math and physics; and you are doing this for the reasons above. So, how much free time do you have, and what else can you do in your free time? If the answer is you have nothing else to do, then do every problem. If the answer is you have other things to do, then do a few of the problems to expand your knowledge, to learn how mathematicians think, and to have fun. But you don't need to master the material, according to your present goals.

Likes topsquark
Doing the problems you find easy is certainly not the road to learning. So it depends upon how you define "fun".....

Likes topsquark, malawi_glenn and Vanadium 50
Whether one attempts all the problems or not in a textbook, depends on how the textbook's author has organized the suggested questions and problems. For instance, in the old good Berkeley Series 5-volume set, there are not too many problems, but the provided ones are lengthy in description and demand a lot of work by the reader. On the other hand, in today's standard college physics books like Halliday and Resnik or Serway, the student is offered a considerable number of problems, although well organized by topic and difficulty. Then it's up to the instructor to assign a profitable set of problems to his/her students.

However, in advanced physics books like Jackson or Peskin & Schroeder, the authors expect the reader to attempt every single problem in detail.

We can also recall stories from great physicists' college years as good examples. For instance, Dirac always worked all the problems, often driving his tutors to despair.

• Informative
Likes topsquark, symbolipoint and PeroK
hutchphd said:
Doing the problems you find easy is certainly not the road to learning. So it depends upon how you define "fun".....

I have no issue with solving *difficult* problems. I've labored over problems in this book for hours because I am well aware that you don't learn without struggling through stuff, especially with math. The difference is I enjoyed that struggle because it was with more interesting problems, problems that I actually wanted to solve. This feels like busywork to me, and while I could spend time thinking about lattice points on boundaries and not, I could also work further in the book and learn about math that actually interests me.

XcgsdV said:
I have no issue with solving *difficult* problems. I've labored over problems in this book for hours because I am well aware that you don't learn without struggling through stuff, especially with math. The difference is I enjoyed that struggle because it was with more interesting problems, problems that I actually wanted to solve. This feels like busywork to me, and while I could spend time thinking about lattice points on boundaries and not, I could also work further in the book and learn about math that actually interests me.
Again, you've just answered your own question.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
XcgsdV said:
Then read Rudin.

XcgsdV said:
This feels like busywork to me, and while I could spend time thinking about lattice points on boundaries and not, I could also work further in the book and learn about math that actually interests me.
It seems you feel compelled to work through the book in order. There's nothing stopping you from jumping ahead or skipping problems. You can always come back to them later if you think you might have missed something important.

Likes topsquark

1. Is it necessary to do every problem in a textbook?

It depends on your learning style and goals. Some students may benefit from completing every problem in a textbook to reinforce their understanding of the material. However, others may find it more efficient to focus on key concepts and only do select problems.

2. Will doing every problem improve my understanding of the subject?

Completing every problem in a textbook can help improve your understanding of the subject, as it allows you to practice and apply the concepts you have learned. However, it is important to also engage in other learning activities such as class discussions, lectures, and practice quizzes.

3. How long will it take to do every problem in a textbook?

The amount of time it takes to do every problem in a textbook will vary depending on the length and complexity of the textbook, as well as your own pace. It is important to set a realistic goal and pace yourself to avoid burnout.

4. Are there any alternatives to doing every problem in a textbook?

Yes, there are alternative study methods that can be just as effective as completing every problem in a textbook. These include creating study guides, practicing with online resources, and seeking help from a tutor or study group.

5. Will skipping problems affect my understanding of the subject?

Skipping some problems in a textbook may not significantly impact your understanding of the subject, as long as you focus on key concepts and regularly practice with other resources. However, it is important to make sure you are not skipping too many problems and missing out on important practice opportunities.