Exploring M-Theory: Do You Need to Know QM?

In summary, to study M-theory one needs to have a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Additionally, one needs to have a good understanding of general relativity and likely some more advanced mathematics.
Swapnil
I don't know much about M-theory except for some basic laymen concepts, but I was wondering if one were planning to study M-theory, does he/she needs to have a strong understanding of QM?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, you need a strong understanding of every brach of physics if you're to work on unification theories and hope to make a contribution.

But especially QM, QFT, QCD, GR, QED, particle physics, etc.

Last edited:
Swapnil said:
I don't know much about M-theory except for some basic laymen concepts, but I was wondering if one were planning to study M-theory, does he/she needs to have a strong understanding of QM?

You need a strong understanding of QM to study practically anything in any branch of physics.

Speaking from experience, it's a wrong move to try to get way ahead of the game, particularly if you're studying alone. Get a background in QM and quantum field theory, then go on to basic strings. For studying at home, assuming you want a pretty deep understanding, but don''t plan to become a professional, I can recommen https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691010196/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for introductory string theory. Then you should go back into string theory with Polchinski or Weinberg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swapnil said:

Hi Swapnil

selfAdjoint recommended some excellent texts. Another essential book would be Nakahara's:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750306068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

John Schwarz uses this at caltech.

For supersymmetry and supergravity, make sure to work through Wess and Bagger's classic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691025304/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It helps to round up a few physics grad student buddies to help you.

Ratzinger said:
There is also coming out a new big introductory book on string theory.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521860695/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you don't want to remember the way to do it with tags, do this:

Ta-Da!

(How can I put the link behind the word 'book' in my sentence above, the way selfadjoint did it with Zee and Zwiebach?)

1. Copy the URL you want to use.
2. Go "advanced" in your post.
3. Click on the URL icon (that dark blue one under the smiley face).
4. When the entry box comes up, clear it, paste your URL, and click OK.
5. When the link code appears in your post it will have the URL highlighted in the place you want your word(s) to appear. Hit delete and it will vanish but the actual link code will be undisturbed.
6. Position your cursor just before the final [/url tag bracket, and type what you want to appear.
7.Sounds like a lot of instructions, but it gets to be automatic.

Thanks. That's easy. Now my posts will look even more elegant. :cool:

But I'm afraid it won't help me much understanding M-theory.

Are you related to the current pope? Or are you the current pope?

To master M-Theory you will need to have working knowledge of the following areas of mathematics:

http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/index.html"

The list above is outdated but it is a good start.

If you look at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm" website. You can get a rough idea of what areas of physics you need to master before you can work on an undergraduate introduction to string theory. You might not need everything on the list, physics of solids for one, but you need most of it.

As for grad level physics you need

Particle Physics 1 and 2 (undergrad)

Quantum 1 and 2 (grad)

Relativistic Quantum Field Theory 1 thru 3 (grad)

General Relativity

After that you're ready for the big time, you can start with the supersymmetry books, and then move onto the introductory book on string theory.

Swapnil said:

The mere fact that you are stating the question in this fashion suggests that you still have a long way to go before doing anything like what you're asking. Still, if you must know...

Learn quantum mechanics. Not the average "Griffiths introduction to" type. There are many good books out there, so I'm not going to give you a list.

Learn quantum field theory. Zee is indeed a good book, if somewhat sketchy at times (this is not a criticism of the book, it's meant to be that way). Zee will help you tackle the lengthier tomes (Peskin & Schröder, Weinberg, Kaku). Mandl & Shaw is also a good intro book.

Learn general relativity. Weinberg is still a great book, but Sean Carroll's online notes are excellent as well, and contain a nice deal of mathematics.

Speaking of which...you cannot learn enough math. Algebra (representations in particular), differential geometry, topology, algebraic geometry... there's a lot out there.

A final word, there is no such thing as M-theory, not yet anyway. We have only a vague idea of what it should look like.

Swapnil said:

Like the others, you need to know fundamentally everything in physics but in particular string theory, QFT, and particle physics (maybe some cosmology too :smile: )

Also, you might want to grab an imagination if possible; it's usefull to sit in one spot for hours and ponder away... :wink:

1. What is M-Theory?

M-Theory, also known as the "Theory of Everything," is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the different branches of physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity, into a single unified theory.

2. How is M-Theory related to Quantum Mechanics?

M-Theory builds upon the principles of quantum mechanics and incorporates them into its framework. It is believed that M-Theory may provide a more fundamental explanation for the phenomena observed in quantum mechanics.

3. Do I need to have a background in Quantum Mechanics to understand M-Theory?

While a basic understanding of quantum mechanics may be helpful in understanding certain concepts in M-Theory, it is not necessary. M-Theory is a highly complex and abstract theory that is still being developed and understood by scientists.

4. What are the practical applications of M-Theory?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of M-Theory. However, it has the potential to greatly advance our understanding of the universe and may one day lead to new technologies and advancements.

5. Is M-Theory a proven theory?

No, M-Theory is still a highly speculative theory and has yet to be proven. It is still being studied and tested by scientists, and there is much debate and discussion surrounding its validity.