Maca Root - fireworks in your pants?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maca Root is believed to help sexual performance and act as an aphrodisiac that boosts libido in both men and women. Chemical research has demonstrated that Maca Root contains a chemical called p-methoxybenzyl isothiocyanate, which has reputed aphrodisiac properties.

Because Maca is thought to balance hormonal activity, it is believed to be useful in cases of sterility and other reproductive and sexual disorders. In men, it is believed to help treat male impotence and erectile dysfunction and may, in fact, increase seminal volume and sperm motility. There are also claims that Maca especially enhances sexual performance and endurance..
http://www.macasex.com/

I saw a bit about this on TV [an investigative report, not a commercial] the other night. Apparently it is common for women in Peru to use Maca root to increase libido. When asked if it works, one women commented, "It will make Chinese fireworks in your pants!".

It appears that this has been shown to be effective in mice, but it hasn't been tested in humans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member

Chinese fireworks in your pants? *buys 3*

http://www.macasex.com/

I saw a bit about this on TV [an investigative report, not a commercial] the other night. Apparently it is common for women in Peru to use maca root to increase libido. When asked if it works, one women commented, "It will make Chinese fireworks in your pants!".

It appears that this has been shown to be effective in mice, but it hasn't been tested in humans.
Maca has a weak androgenic effect, like other things you just have to see if it bothers your bladder or not. Sometimes the purity of the Maca makes a difference as some manufacturers use fillers that you could react to.
Why dont you get your hormone levels checked by your Gyno. For a lot of women libido problems are due to low testosterone or estradiol.

I bought supplement called Macafem (maca root). I started taking it and vitamin B complex at the same time. My bladder started acing on the 3rd day and I stopped taking the supplements. I heard that vitimin B can make your bladder worse and now I don't know which one of these supplements cause the pain and too afraid to try maca root again. Is maca root suppose to cause bladder discomfort?

Danger
Gold Member
The only time that I ever had a problem in this respect, I found the perfect remedy—a better looking woman.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why dont you get your hormone levels checked by your Gyno. For a lot of women libido problems are due to low testosterone or estradiol.
My Gyno has refused to see me ever since my first exam.

Danger
Gold Member
My Gyno has refused to see me ever since my first exam.
I didn't figure that you'd let that one go by... :biggrin: