Macs w/ Intel Chip: Get Ready for Better Performance!

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: Apple has already announced that their next line of laptops will have the Intel chip.correct. It will probably take the form of using the new intel tech that has it built into teh CPU to stop folks from running on non Mac computers... though if tehy did that, it woudl make it impossible for folks to upgrade their Macs using a new CPU (at least tehy will be able o just drop in a new G-Force or Radeon when drivers are avaialble since Appel will be using standard BIOS, thus providing the standard hardware interface for the GFX card makers. (yay! normaly priced GFX cards)- WarrenIn summary, the new Intel-based Macs will
gravenewworld
Hello. I am in desperate need of a new computer at my house My old laptop completely died the other day. I was interested in getting a mac this time, very likely the powerbook laptop (is this a good choice btw?). How much longer will it be until the new computers come out with the intel chip? will this make macs even better by making it easier to use programs windows uses?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Intel-based Macs will not be able to run Windows, because the rest of the supporting hardware is still very different from the PC.

- Warren

You can spend your entire life waiting around for the next upgrade. Nobody ever really knows when Apple is going to come out with a revision to one of their lines, there's always speculation that at each upcoming Apple event Jobs is going to make an announcement about such-and-such product getting this week's hot new whiz-bang feature and most of the time they're wrong.

The Powerbooks are very good laptops, but which laptop is best for you depends on how you're planning on using it. Are you looking for something that'll just check your email and let you write documents? Do you want to play a lot of games? Are you looking for scientific applications?

The Powerbooks are very good laptops, but which laptop is best for you depends on how you're planning on using it. Are you looking for something that'll just check your email and let you write documents? Do you want to play a lot of games? Are you looking for scientific applications?

Pretty much all of the above. I want to play lots of video games, do computational work in chemistry, and possibly some digital design stuff (for making my own dvds etc.).

Well I don't know much about chemistry software packages, I do know that you can get generic computational software like Mathematica and MatLab for the Mac though. The best DVD authoring software is also available for the Mac. However, when it comes to games the PC reigns supreme. You can get some games on Apple machines (WoW, Doom3, others), but the selection is much wider on the PC.

Mac World is coming up this month and Jobs will probably say something about the new intel machines. I wouldn't doubt if you had to wait until May, if not later, to get a hold of intel powerbooks.

If your going to play games then you probably best sticking with windows. Dell, ibm, etc are all good.

chroot said:
Intel-based Macs will not be able to run Windows, because the rest of the supporting hardware is still very different from the PC.

- Warren

Excuse me?
You know nothing about a mac apparently.

They use 100% stadard technology... no more proprietary junk like in the old days.

the intel macs will be able to run windows no problem.

ComputerGeek said:
Excuse me?
You know nothing about a mac apparently.
They use 100% stadard technology... no more proprietary junk like in the old days.

I rescind. An Intel-based Mac may well be able to run Windows, but an Intel-based PC will not be able to run MacOS, due to an authentication chip built into genuine Apple hardware.

- Warren

Last edited:
chroot said:
I rescind. An Intel-based Mac may well be able to run Windows, but an Intel-based PC will not be able to run MacOS, due to an authentication chip built into genuine Apple hardware.

- Warren

correct. It will probably take the form of using the new intel tech that has it built into teh CPU to stop folks from running on non Mac computers... though if tehy did that, it woudl make it impossible for folks to upgrade their Macs using a new CPU (at least tehy will be able o just drop in a new G-Force or Radeon when drivers are avaialble since Appel will be using standard BIOS, thus providing the standard hardware interface for the GFX card makers. (yay! normaly priced GFX cards)

chroot said:
an Intel-based PC will not be able to run MacOS, due to an authentication chip built into genuine Apple hardware

Yeah, that'll last for all of a week :wink:

While I may like OSX, I question why anyone would really want to run it on normal pc hardware that may or may not be supported by apple. Isn't the point of controlling the base hardware to maintain absolute control over the drivers?

If you dictate what hardware the OS supports, then there are fewer problems. If you attempt to put the OS on everything, then you have flexibility. Everything is is just windows.:rofl:

Curious, but how do you know this as Fact?

We don't know if windows will run on an intel mac, but there is a good chance you will be able to.

Alright you guys are talking way over my head. If I get a Mac w/ an intel chip and have windows on it, will it then be able to get all the viruses and other crap that normal PCs get? Don't the macs right now have virtually no viruses for them (or is this a myth)?

It is a software problem, not a hardware problem. Install windows anywhere and it will have the same problems. Macs are built on UNIX which has been engineered with proper security.

Your Windows installation will be as vulnerable to viruses as any other; your MacOS installation will be as invulnerable as any other.

- Warren

iamsharpie said:
While I may like OSX, I question why anyone would really want to run it on normal pc hardware that may or may not be supported by apple.
Personally i'd like to be able try out the Mac OS without having to buy new hardware, I'm not made of money :smile: .
Financially speaking, there's no reason for Apple to not make their OS available for the non-Apple Intel-based machines. I'm confident that if/once they do many people will switch to Apple's OS, because it will just be that much easier to convert.
I think Apple will do their best to prevent Windows from taking over their hardware, but I'm sure they'll make an OSX version that installs on non-Apple intel-based PCs (or at least that makes sense from a marketing perspective). I predict lawsuits. :smile:

Last edited:
you may have the ability to "cross-platform" in the same way that you change "start-up disks". i would wait on buying a windows machine. it's a waste of money, for that junk. wait for the intel-mac... by the way, there are numerous applications for OSX that would satisfy your desires... most on the windows platform are "space-wasters" anyway. check out Apple.com (amongst other sites) and see if you can be satiated by mac. i bet that you can be, but i am solely a mac-user now.
if not a mac, go linux or unix.
windows began as a copy-cat, and will ever be a step behind the ingenuity over at Apple.
Windows began as a theft; it's not even original; completely stolen. they may have taken the market over in the past, but microsoft must, as a result of their stealing the gui, be ever-looking to mac for inspiration and direction. they are like machines with technical ability, but no mind to do anything really creative, or genuinely produced.
ok, enough on my rant about how weak microsoft is in its integrity, and as a creative entity.

once you go mac, you don't go back.

sameandnot said:
once you go mac, you don't go back.
Unless of course you're willing to throw your hardware away, precisely the reason why i don't have a MAC.
As for your anti-microsoft feeling and biased criticism, no comments.

-job- said:
Unless of course you're willing to throw your hardware away
what would you have to "throw away" that was still very useful and "contemporary"?

The two OSs that i have right now, Windows 2003 and Suse Linux don't run on the PPC architecture. Which is why if i decided to switch to Mac, i'd be stuck with it, (because i wouldn't be able to install these OSs on the Mac), i'd have to abandon the hardware or pick another Linux distro that runs on it.
This is why i like the idea of having Macs running with an Intel chip.

-Job- said:
Personally i'd like to be able try out the Mac OS without having to buy new hardware, I'm not made of money :smile: .
Financially speaking, there's no reason for Apple to not make their OS available for the non-Apple Intel-based machines. I'm confident that if/once they do many people will switch to Apple's OS, because it will just be that much easier to convert.
I think Apple will do their best to prevent Windows from taking over their hardware, but I'm sure they'll make an OSX version that installs on non-Apple intel-based PCs (or at least that makes sense from a marketing perspective). I predict lawsuits. :smile:

by doing their best to keep windows off, I assume you are referring to the lead engineer saying that they are not going to do anything to keep people from installing windows.

-Job- said:
The two OSs that i have right now, Windows 2003 and Suse Linux don't run on the PPC architecture. Which is why if i decided to switch to Mac, i'd be stuck with it, (because i wouldn't be able to install these OSs on the Mac), i'd have to abandon the hardware or pick another Linux distro that runs on it.

I like the idea for three reasons...

1) all reports say that OS X screams on the dev systems (though I do not know how much performance gain is attributed to the P4EEs)

2)I can run virtualized OS s in VMware or some other VM software and have them run at full speed, like windows.

3) I can do all my Website testing on ONE box.

-Job- said:

Suse most definitely runs on PPC.

You can get it at opensuse.org:

http://www.opensuse.org/Development_Version#Downloads

Last edited by a moderator:
sameandnot said:
windows began as a copy-cat, and will ever be a step behind the ingenuity over at Apple.
Windows began as a theft; it's not even original; completely stolen. they may have taken the market over in the past, but microsoft must, as a result of their stealing the gui, be ever-looking to mac for inspiration and direction.

You do realize that Xerox PARC developed and marketed a computer with a GUI before either Apple or Microsoft came out with their versions?

dduardo said:
Suse most definitely runs on PPC.

You can get it at opensuse.org:

http://www.opensuse.org/Development_Version#Downloads
I stand corrected, i don't remember seing it at Novell's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
dicerandom said:
You do realize that Xerox PARC developed and marketed a computer with a GUI before either Apple or Microsoft came out with their versions?
And before Xerox, it was an independent researcher at SRI.

- Warren

chroot said:
- Warren

oh lord...

yes, but it did not resemble Mac OS or Windows in any way shape or form.

a concept of a mouse and GUI are one thing (and were actually developed at stanford in 1968) the metaphor is another.

yes dicerandom, i am aware. the difference is that: evolution of technology, in time, is one thing, while the direct thievery of a contemporary competitor is another.

Hopefully we only have three days to wait until we finally get some decent mac laptops.

rho said:
Hopefully we only have three days to wait until we finally get some decent mac laptops.

I'd argue that my Powerbook, which has a PowerPC processor and Openboot, has features unlike any other laptop.

Last edited:
The iMacs also come with dual core intel processors.

chroot said:
- Warren

I'm not quite sure about SRI's stake, but from 1980-1981 (two years before the Mac), researchers at Bell Labs (Rob Pike, et. all) developed a graphical environment, as well:

http://herpolhode.com/rob/movies/blit.mpg