Magnetic field between 2 parallel wires

In summary, the question asks for the strength of the magnetic field at the mid-point of two parallel wires and which formula to use. The formula B=\frac{μi}{2∏r} would be used for each wire and then added together. Equation (1) is actually the force acting on the wires, not the field. The field at the first wire is given by B1 = μ i2/d and the current in the first wire is i1, resulting in a force per unit length of μ i1i2/d and a force on the first wire of length L of μ i1i2L/d.
dawn_pingpong

Homework Statement

Sorry. I know this question is on the forum somewhere, but I still don't get it... Thus.

For parallel wires, at the mid-point of the wires, what is the strength of the magnetic field? Do I use the formula [itex]B=\frac{μi_{1}i_{2}L}{2∏r}[/itex], or is it the sum of
[itex]B=\frac{μi}{2∏r}[/itex], for both wires? I'm really confused:(

For example,
Two parralel wires are 8 cm apart. The magnetic field halfway between them is 300 uT. What equal currents must be in the wires?

I would use equation no. 1, but it is actually 2x equation (2). Thus I don't really get, how to calculate the magnetic field between 2 parallel current carrying wires? And when to use equation (1)?

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For one wire you would obviously use eqn 2. For two wires it will be just the sum of the fields due to each wire, so just use eqn 2 for each and add them up. (Note that the currents must be in opposite directions or the fields would cancel.)
I don't recognise eqn 1. It doesn't make sense dimensionally. Where did you find it?

Oh, okay, thanks!

Uh the 2nd formula is in quite a lot of places actually, though I might have misunderstood it... Places like http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sciences/physics/electromagnetism/Magnetostatics/MagneticField/Forcesoncurrents/parallelwires/parallelwires.htm

and the attached is the Halliday Textbook... In such a case, what do they mean by the 1st equation? Is it the force acting on one wire or something? Thanks!

Attachments

• magnetic current.png
    magnetic current.png
    36 KB · Views: 757
Last edited by a moderator:
dawn_pingpong said:
what do they mean by the 1st equation? Is it the force acting on one wire or something?
Yes, it's the force the wires experience from each other, not the field.
Field at 1st wire = B1 = μ i2/d
Current in 1st wire = i1
Force per unit length acting on first wire = B1 i1 = μ i1i2/d
Force on 1st wire of length L = μ i1i2L/d

Thank yu very much! Now I get it:D

1. What is a magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The magnetic field between two parallel wires is the region in space where a magnetic force can be experienced. It is created by the flow of electric current through the wires and is represented by magnetic field lines.

2. How does the direction of current affect the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The direction of current in the wires determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current flows in the same direction, the magnetic field lines will be parallel and attract each other. If the current flows in opposite directions, the magnetic field lines will repel each other.

3. What is the strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The strength of the magnetic field between two parallel wires is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wires and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This relationship is described by the Biot-Savart Law.

4. How can the magnetic field between two parallel wires be calculated?

The magnetic field between two parallel wires can be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which takes into account the current, distance between the wires, and the permeability of the medium in which the wires are located.

5. What are some applications of the magnetic field between two parallel wires?

The magnetic field between two parallel wires has various applications, including in electric motors, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in particle accelerators and in research related to magnetohydrodynamics and plasma physics.