1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field between two wires (vector sums)

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two parallel wires carry a current I and 2I in different directions. What is the magnetic field halfway between the two wires?

2. Relevant equations
    Ampere's law
    Int (B dot dA) = permissivity x enclosed current

3. The attempt at a solution
    Draw a circle around wire 1
    B x 2 pi r = mu x I
    B = mu x I / 2 pi r
    if d = distance between two wires, r = d/2

Where I'm confused is at the part where I add the two B vectors to find the total B. According to the rule of vector addition, I can add vectors to find the net vector. BUT I thought Ampere's law was supposed to describe all of the B at a point as proportional to ONLY the current inside and that currents outside the Amperian loop were not supposed to make any net contribution to B. So how can I add together two vectors when Ampere's law is supposed to describe a magnetic field with all the B vectors already added up? This is a more conceptual question. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi quantum13! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a pi: π and btw, it's permeability for magnetism :wink:)
    You have to look at the whole loop.

A loop C around a wire with currrent I1 and field B1 has an integral of ∫C B1.dl = 2πrB1 = µ0I1.

The same loop has an integral of ∫C B2.dl for a different wire, but B2 will not be constant, and if this wire lies outside C, the integral is zero. :wink:

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    hooray another annoying and difficult realization in the land of physics :)

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook