Magnetic field between two wires (vector sums)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field halfway between two parallel wires carrying currents in different directions. The formula for calculating the magnetic field is given, but there is confusion about how to add the two B vectors to find the total B. The concept of looking at the whole loop is explained and it is stated that if the second wire lies outside the loop, the integral is zero.
quantum13

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires carry a current I and 2I in different directions. What is the magnetic field halfway between the two wires?

Homework Equations

Ampere's law
Int (B dot dA) = permissivity x enclosed current

The Attempt at a Solution

Draw a circle around wire 1
B x 2 pi r = mu x I
B = mu x I / 2 pi r
if d = distance between two wires, r = d/2

Where I'm confused is at the part where I add the two B vectors to find the total B. According to the rule of vector addition, I can add vectors to find the net vector. BUT I thought Ampere's law was supposed to describe all of the B at a point as proportional to ONLY the current inside and that currents outside the Amperian loop were not supposed to make any net contribution to B. So how can I add together two vectors when Ampere's law is supposed to describe a magnetic field with all the B vectors already added up? This is a more conceptual question. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quantum13! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a pi: π and btw, it's permeability for magnetism :wink:)
quantum13 said:
BUT I thought Ampere's law was supposed to describe all of the B at a point as proportional to ONLY the current inside and that currents outside the Amperian loop were not supposed to make any net contribution to B. So how can I add together two vectors when Ampere's law is supposed to describe a magnetic field with all the B vectors already added up? This is a more conceptual question. Thanks.

You have to look at the whole loop.

A loop C around a wire with currrent I1 and field B1 has an integral of ∫C B1.dl = 2πrB1 = µ0I1.

The same loop has an integral of ∫C B2.dl for a different wire, but B2 will not be constant, and if this wire lies outside C, the integral is zero. :wink:

hooray another annoying and difficult realization in the land of physics :)

thanks

1. What is a magnetic field between two wires?

A magnetic field between two wires refers to the area of influence where the magnetic force produced by one wire affects the other wire.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined between two wires?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow in the first wire and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field between two wires?

The strength of the magnetic field between two wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the current flowing through the wires, and the materials of the wires.

4. How is the magnetic field calculated between two wires?

The magnetic field between two wires can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

5. How does the magnetic field between two wires affect nearby objects?

The magnetic field between two wires can induce an electric current in nearby conductors, attract or repel magnetic materials, and affect the trajectory of charged particles passing through the field.