1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field in Spherical Coordinate

1. Jun 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to use the equation ##B_{dip} (r) = \nabla \times A## to find the magnetic field due to a dipole at the origin pointing in the z direction (where A is the magnetic vector potential).

The correct answer should be:

##B_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^3} \ (2 cos \theta \ \hat{r} + sin \theta \ \hat{\theta})##​

But I'm unable to get this expression. I can't see how they got the part in the bracket. :confused:

2. Relevant equations

In spherical coordinates:

##A_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{m sin \theta}{r^2} \hat{\phi}## .... (1)

Curl:

curl.jpg .... (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

So we only need to use the ##\hat{\phi}## term from the curl equation. Substituting (1) into (2), we obtain:

##\nabla \times A= \frac{1}{r}\left( \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{r \mu_0 m \ sin \theta}{4 \pi r^2} \right) \right) - \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \left( \frac{\mu_0 m \ sin \theta}{4 \pi r^2} \right) \right) \right)##​

##=\frac{1}{r} (- \frac{\mu_0 m \ sin \theta}{\pi r^2} - \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^2} cos \theta)##​

##\therefore \ B_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^3} (-sin \theta - cos \theta)##​

So how did they get from "-sinθ - cosθ" to "2 cosθ + sinθ"? Have I made a mistake somewhere? :confused:

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is the reason why you got wrong answer. Although the vector potential only has ##\phi## component, that doesn't mean its curl will also has only ##\phi## component. What you need to heed to in the expression of the curl of A is:
    ## A_r \rightarrow r## component of vector potential
    ## A_\theta \rightarrow \theta## component of vector potential
    ## A_\phi \rightarrow \phi## component of vector potential
    Now the vector potential does not have the ##r## and ##\theta## components, so any differential operation acting on these components should vanish. The differential acting on the ##\phi## component should, in general, not vanish depending on which variable it's differentiated against.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    What do you mean? The answer for ##B(r)## has a ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## component. How did they get that?

If all the partial derivatives with respect to θ and r vanish, then I must only use the ##\partial/\partial \phi## terms. Namely:

##\frac{1}{sin \theta} \left( \frac{-\partial A_\phi}{\partial \phi} \right) + \frac{1}{r} \left( \frac{1}{sin \theta} \frac{\partial A_r}{\partial \phi} \right)##

But since I do not have any ϕ variables this also vanishes...

5. Jun 21, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok if I rewrite the vector potential to ##A_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{m sin \theta}{r^2} \hat{\phi} = A_{\phi}(r,\theta) \hat{\phi}##, will you know which terms in the curl should vanish, which one should not?
    If you calculate the fourth therm in the curl ##\frac{1}{r} \frac{(\partial rA_{\phi})} {\partial r}##, will it be zero?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. Jun 21, 2015 #5
    Thank you so much for the explanation, it makes perfect sense now. I got the right answer using the first and the fourth term. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted