Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnetic field of circular loop

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two small identical circular loops carrying equal currents are placed with the geometrical axis perpendicular to each other. Find the magnitude and direction at a point O at an equal distance x from their centers.

2. Relevant equations
    Magnetic field of a current carrying circular loop at a distance x on it's axis : μIR2/2x3 when x>>>R

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let μIR2/2x3 = B
    Then magnitude should be (21/2)B(Fields perpendicular to each other)
    Inclined at an angle 45° with the horizontal.

Are my directions right?

Attached Files:

• 1.bmp
      1.bmp
      File size:
      227.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    Your equation for the magnetic field seems like it's missing a factor of 2 in the denominator. Also, check your vector addition when adding the magnitudes of the fields.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Directions look right, although, it's hard for the viewer to be certain of the direction of current flow.

B1/2 is not correct. That's the square root of B.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    !
    Sorry about that. I meant, (21/2)B (I don't know how to make the squareroot symbol here) And yes, the equation was missing a 2. Typo again.
    I don't have any problems with the magnitude. Just the direction. The solution in my book has a direction opposite to the one I got.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook