Magnetic force on wires -direction of B

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
bcjochim07
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Three wires have linear density of 50 g/m. They each carry the same current. The bottom two are 4 cm apart and carry currents into the page. What current I will allow the third wire to float so as to form an equilateral triangle with the other two?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I think I am really close, but I'm just concerned because I'm having some problems with magnetic field directions and components.

If I start with the magnetic field, I think that the y- components of the magnetic fields of the bottom two wires cancel. So the net B-field is:

2* cos(60) * (1.257*10-6)I / 2pi*.04 = (5*10^-6)I

F=IlBsin(theta) for the force on a current carrying wire

F= I^2 * (5*10-6) * l = (9.8)(.05)*l
I= 313A.

This isn't quite correct, however, I find that if I turn to forces first, and seeing that the bottom two have forces where the x-components cancel.

F = I^2 * l * (5*10-6)*sin(60) = .05*9.8l
I = 237 A This is correct. But I am confused by why the two give different answers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the magnetic fields from the bottom wires at an angle of 60 degrees to horizontal? So with cos(60) I am getting the x components from those mag. fields and adding them together.
 
bcjochim07 said:
Isn't the magnetic fields from the bottom wires at an angle of 60 degrees to horizontal?

I'm getting that B is 60 degrees from vertical.