1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force on wires -direction of B

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three wires have linear density of 50 g/m. They each carry the same current. The bottom two are 4 cm apart and carry currents into the page. What current I will allow the third wire to float so as to form an equilateral triangle with the other two?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I am really close, but I'm just concerned because I'm having some problems with magnetic field directions and components.

If I start with the magnetic field, I think that the y- components of the magnetic fields of the bottom two wires cancel. So the net B-field is:

2* cos(60) * (1.257*10-6)I / 2pi*.04 = (5*10^-6)I

F=IlBsin(theta) for the force on a current carrying wire

F= I^2 * (5*10-6) * l = (9.8)(.05)*l
    I= 313A.

This isn't quite correct, however, I find that if I turn to forces first, and seeing that the bottom two have forces where the x-components cancel.

F = I^2 * l * (5*10-6)*sin(60) = .05*9.8l
    I = 237 A This is correct. But I am confused by why the two give different answers.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where does the cos(60) come from?
  4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    Isn't the magnetic fields from the bottom wires at an angle of 60 degrees to horizontal? So with cos(60) I am getting the x components from those mag. fields and adding them together.
  5. Nov 17, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm getting that B is 60 degrees from vertical.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?