Magnetic Forces in and around a coaxial cable

In summary, the conversation discusses creating equations for the magnetic field inside and outside of a coaxial cable with an inner solid cable and an outer thin tube. Questions are raised about modeling the outer tube and using Ampere's Law, with the conclusion that the current component of the inner wire should be used for all calculations.

Homework Statement

So I'm doing a problem set and the question refers to a coaxial cable, I am told that the cable consists of an inner solid cable radius (R1), which is surrounded by a outer thin tube with radius (R2) , both have the same current though them but opposite direction. I have to create equations for the magnetic field inside the inner cable, between the two, and outside the tube. The picture I am given is a filled in circle inside of a larger circle.
My questions about doing the problem are:
1. Should the thin tube be modeled as a solenoid? But then I don't know the number of turns
2. If I use Amperes Law, then wouldn't I get a I_through of zero?

Homework Equations

magnetic field inside a current carrying wire is =[(µIr)/2piR2]

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I don't even know where to start because I don't know how to model the outer circle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi 032050! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
032050 said:
1. Should the thin tube be modeled as a solenoid? But then I don't know the number of turns

no …

there's no turns …

if you like, you can model it as a million very thin wires running along the tube, each with one-millionth of the current :wink:

Thanks, so if I model the outer tube using Ampere's Law to calculate the Ithrough wouldn't that give zero current and then zero magnetic field?

maybe :rolleyes:

where? :smile:

ohhh..
is it inside the wire I would only use the current component of the inner wire, between the two I would still only use the inner wire, and then outside i would add the two to get Ithrough=0?

yup! :biggrin:

Thankyouuuu! :approve::rofl::biggrin:

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable that has an inner conductor surrounded by an insulating layer, which is then encased in an outer conductor. This design allows for the efficient transmission of high-frequency signals with minimal interference.

2. How do magnetic forces affect a coaxial cable?

Magnetic forces can affect a coaxial cable in a few different ways. They can cause the cable to experience a force or torque, which can potentially damage the cable or its components. Additionally, magnetic fields can induce unwanted currents in the cable, leading to signal distortion or loss.

3. How can magnetic forces be minimized in a coaxial cable?

One way to minimize magnetic forces in a coaxial cable is to use materials with low magnetic permeability, such as copper and aluminum. Additionally, keeping the cable away from other magnetic fields and ensuring proper grounding can also help reduce the effects of magnetic forces.

4. How do magnetic forces impact the performance of a coaxial cable?

Magnetic forces can impact the performance of a coaxial cable by causing signal loss, distortion, or interference. This can result in a decrease in the quality and reliability of the transmitted signal.

5. Can magnetic forces be used to improve the performance of a coaxial cable?

Yes, magnetic forces can be utilized in the design of a coaxial cable to improve its performance. For example, a magnetic field can be used to stabilize the cable and reduce signal loss, or to create a stronger electromagnetic field for better signal transmission.