1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a coaxial cable

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    We have a coaxial cable with inner radius a and outer radius b. The coaxial cable is modelled as two very long circular metal cylinders. I'm supposed to calculate the electric field E, the electric potential V and the charge enclosed Q when a voltage is applied between the metal cylinder, meaning between the inner conductor and the outer conductor

I know that if I can calculate the electric field the electric potential 'V and Q should not be hard to find. But how do i set up the problem? Is there any symmetry that allows me to use gauss law or am i stuck with using superposition?
    If the case is that we have symmetry(which is a hard thing for me to figure out?) then we can use cylindrical coordinates and set up the problem as the integral of E dot ds and E=Er*r^ (because the electric field is pointing radially?) and ds=r^rdzd(theta)
    But i have a hard time understanding the voltage that is applied, how do I take that into account when it comes to the integral above? Maybe I'm thinking totally wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2
    Hi! :)
    I would not like to say anything wrong, but I think the following:
    Because the cable consist of two metal cylinders, I think we have a cylindrical symmetry.
    It should be possible to find an expression for the electrical field (with dependance on r) from Gauss's law.
    Then, one should remember that the integral of E along a distance (the difference in radius between the two cylinders) is the potentialdifference, which is the same as voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted