Magnetic interactions of atom

In summary, the energy required for an electron to change orbit changes in the presence of an electromagnetic field.
Jobee
as far as i know it takes certain amount of energy for an electron to change orbit now what i am wondering is why the energy required for an electron to change orbit doesn't change when close to let's say another positively(or)negatively charged atom

thank you for your time and sorry for the english

Physics news on Phys.org
Jobee said:
as far as i know it takes certain amount of energy for an electron to change orbit now what i am wondering is why the energy required for an electron to change orbit doesn't change when close to let's say another positively(or)negatively charged atom

thank you for your time and sorry for the english

Hello,

The short answer is that, actually, the energy required to "change orbit" changes in the presence of an electromagnetic field.

To know exactly what changes is not so easy. We can perform easy calculation if the electromagnetic field is weak, but still we need some approximations.

If you are interested, try to read something amount Zeeman and Stark effects.

Ilm

It changes.

Without external electric or magnetic fields, for most energy levels, there are several "orbits" (wave functions or simply states is a better word) that have the same energy (they are called "degenerate"). You can combine these in any way you want without changing the energy of the new state. Now if you add an external field, magnetic or electric or both, the energies of these states do become different (they split). You then have to find the "right" combination of states that solves the Schroedinger equation (or whatever model you use), i.e. find Eigenstates of the Hamiltonian that have a defined energy. Symmetry is an important help for doing that.

Now if the energies of the states change, then the energy difference between two states changes, too. This energy difference is probably what you refer to as "energy required for an electron to change orbit".

if the energy required does change and energy is quantized doesn't that mean that in some posistions the electron can't jump to a new orbit or am i understanding this incorrectly?

It just means that the energy quantum changes according to the circumstances.

This is very useful: You can measure the transition energies and thus find out about the interactions.

1. What is a magnetic interaction of an atom?

The magnetic interaction of an atom refers to the force that exists between two atoms due to their magnetic properties. This force can either attract or repel the atoms depending on their orientation and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How do atoms become magnetized?

Atoms become magnetized when their electrons align in the same direction, creating a net magnetic moment. This can be achieved through exposure to an external magnetic field or by having unpaired electrons in their outer shells.

3. What is the difference between paramagnetism and diamagnetism?

Paramagnetism is a property of materials where the atoms have unpaired electrons, causing them to be weakly attracted to an external magnetic field. Diamagnetism, on the other hand, is a property of materials where the atoms have paired electrons and are weakly repelled by an external magnetic field.

4. How do magnetic interactions of atoms affect materials?

The magnetic interactions of atoms can affect the properties of materials, such as their electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and strength. Materials with strong magnetic interactions can also be used in various technologies, such as in data storage and medical imaging.

5. Can magnetic interactions be controlled?

Yes, magnetic interactions can be controlled through the application of an external magnetic field. This can be done by adjusting the strength and orientation of the field, which can in turn affect the alignment of the atoms' magnetic moments and their resulting interactions.