Transition state of electrons in molecules

In summary, molecules do not stop absorbing light of the first transition states because of the constant spacing between adjacent levels and the fact that a molecule will quickly fall back to the ground state after being excited. This is also why the sample does not change its color over time. Additionally, after a certain state, the electron cannot absorb the corresponding wavelength due to spontaneous emission and the faster probability of de-excitation compared to excitation.
goldenboy
Hi !

In my class we have an exercise that I technically understand but that I can't get conceptually.

We have trois molecules (naphtalene, anthracene, tétracene). Considering each molecule as infinite quantum well of length 2L(naphtalene), 3L(anthracene) and 4L(tetracene), we would like to predict the wave length absorbed the electron of each molecules. To do so :

- We find the transition energy for each electron state : ΔE = h*(2n+1)/(8m*Lw)
- Then we find the wave lengths absorbed by each molecules for each transition with : λ = h*c/ΔΕ

So, the exercise is resolved. But my question is : when ALL the electrons at state n = 1 go to n = 2, and n = 2 go to n = 3, ... considering that light is always available, why molecules don't stop absorbing the wave length of the first transition states (consecutively, why the sample doesn't change its colour) through time. And why after a certain state, electron doesn't absorbe the wave length corresponding to it's transition (like in naphtalene, the last transition is from 4 to 5).

Thanks a lot for answers and sorry for my bad english. I hope i have been clear enough

Bye !

Physics news on Phys.org
If all molecules are excited, then indeed you would have no more absorption at that wavelength. But as you can see from the simple particle in a box model, the spacing between adjacent levels is always the same (this is not true for a real molecule, but close enough), so you will still get absorption at that wavelength. Also, you have to factor in the relaxation time. In most cases, before you can even reach a significant proportion of excited molecules, some will already decay back to the ground state and be able to absorb light again.

Likes goldenboy
DrClaude said:
[...] the spacing between adjacent levels is always the same (this is not true for a real molecule, but close enough), so you will still get absorption at that wavelength. [...]

Thanks for that answer !

However, i can't get that point : in which way the fact that spacing between adjacent levels is always the same influences that we still get absorption at that wavelength ? =)

goldenboy said:
However, i can't get that point : in which way the fact that spacing between adjacent levels is always the same influences that we still get absorption at that wavelength ? =)
Because the wavelength of the light must correspond to the energy difference. If the energy difference is constant, then the same wavelength is involved in all n → n+1 transitions, whatever n.

I think you're perhaps misreading the OP. The energy difference is proportional to 2n-1 because the energy is proportional to n2 for a particle in a box. So the levels are not equally spaced.

mjc123 said:
I think you're perhaps misreading the OP. The energy difference is proportional to 2n-1 because the energy is proportional to n2 for a particle in a box. So the levels are not equally spaced.
Don't know why I was thinking of the harmonic oscillator instead of the particle in a box o:)

Sorry for the confusion.

I would say that at the same time as absorbing they are also emitting and dropping down energy levels.

goldenboy said:
So, the exercise is resolved. But my question is : when ALL the electrons at state n = 1 go to n = 2, and n = 2 go to n = 3, ... considering that light is always available, why molecules don't stop absorbing the wave length of the first transition states (consecutively, why the sample doesn't change its colour) through time. And why after a certain state, electron doesn't absorbe the wave length corresponding to it's transition (like in naphtalene, the last transition is from 4 to 5).
Due to spontaneous emission, electron in an excited state will have a finite lifetime to stay in that state. Therefore, it cannot consecutively absorbs photon to get excited to a higher and higher levels. After hitting certain upper level, spontaneous emission becomes much more probable and faster that the probability to de-excite exceed that of excitation.

Last edited:
goldenboy said:

An important point to recognize here is the fact that a molecule, which has been excited, will fall back very rapidly to the ground state again, by so called radiationless transitions. Basically, the electronic excitation energy dissipates rapidly into molecular vibrations. So the probability to sequentially excite various electrons within one molecule are vanishingly small with the exception of molecules in highest power laser fields.

1. What is a transition state in a molecule?

A transition state in a molecule is a high-energy state that a molecule must pass through in order to undergo a chemical reaction. It is a temporary state between the reactants and the products, and represents the highest point on the reaction coordinate diagram.

2. How do electrons transition between energy states in molecules?

Electrons in molecules transition between energy states by absorbing or releasing energy in the form of photons. This can occur through various processes such as absorption, emission, or scattering of light.

3. What factors influence the stability of a transition state?

The stability of a transition state can be influenced by various factors such as the strength of the chemical bonds, the surrounding environment, and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, the number of electrons involved in the transition and the overall energy of the system can also impact the stability of the transition state.

4. How can the transition state of electrons be visualized?

The transition state of electrons in molecules can be visualized using computational tools such as molecular modeling and quantum chemistry calculations. These techniques allow scientists to simulate and observe the movement of electrons during a chemical reaction.

5. What is the significance of understanding transition states in molecules?

Understanding transition states in molecules is crucial for predicting and controlling chemical reactions. It allows scientists to design more efficient and selective reactions, and also provides insights into the fundamental processes that govern chemical transformations in nature.