Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic moment from neutral particles in QFT

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    Could somebody take a stab at explaining how can quantum fluctuations give neutral elementary particles a magnetic moment?
    (in the usual explanation given by QFT textbooks, I think there are people around here denying the existence of quantum fluctuations, insert the more neutral expression "quantum corrections" if it suits you but I'm interested in the physical mechanism)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

4. Dec 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks, I suppose geoduck's reply in post #3 is my starting point, the rest of the thread concentrates on neutrino mass.
    Is there really no answer beyond that it comes from quantum effects? No physical justification of how that quantum influence make us ignore that magnetic effects used to be related to charges in motion?

5. Dec 19, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. There is no classical analog to this effect.

6. Dec 19, 2014 #5
    There is no relativistic QM analogue either, unlike in the electrón case, where the anomalous moment is a correction to a RQM prediction due to a quantum effect, spin, with no classical counterpart. In the absence of charge the whole thing is anomalous rather than a renormalization correction and it seems to decouple the electric and magnetic sides of electromagnetism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook