Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Magnetic monopole discovery, but not the creation

1. Aug 18, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

These monopoles are not fundamental particles, they are a way of describing collective behavior in condensed matter systems.

4. Aug 18, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your observation, but the question remains.

5. Aug 18, 2016 #4
    Yes, magnetic monopoles are not fundamental particles (,because they are not proven yet) ,but they are hypothetical elementary particles in particle physics.

6. Aug 18, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Define "natural". What is unnatural about the observed quasiparticles?
    Yes, and purely hypothetical so far.

What is your actual question?

7. Aug 18, 2016 #6
    Can we expect natural (as found in nature and not invovling anything made or done by people) magnetic monopoles discovery?

8. Aug 18, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

The crystals could occur naturally, not sure how often that happens, but there is nothing special about them.

9. Aug 20, 2016 #8
    If there is nothing special about them, why then we do not detected them yet? I am discussing here the probability that we can not found things that just does not exist (that's why I am asking RELIABLE theories, that can PREDICT and not SUPPOSE magnetic monopoles discovery).

10. Aug 20, 2016 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Only a tiny amount of all crystals show magnetic monopoles as quasiparticles, and it is hard to study them experimentally. I don't know if there is a known natural material that shows them, but there is no fundamental reason why this should not occur.

11. Aug 20, 2016 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Again, what is your actual question? You seem to think that there is some relationship between the collective behaviors of spin-ices and monopoles as elementary particles. There isn't.

12. Jan 21, 2017 #11
    Here are a couple of additional links on this enormously important topic. Sorry they are not very recent, but they are still interesting.

This is an overview from IEEE Spectrum.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/materials/the-hunt-for-the-magnetic-monopole

Here is an article concerning work at Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin.

https://www.helmholtz-berlin.de/aktuell/pm/pm-archiv/2009/pm-tennant-morris-monopole_en.html

I hope this thread is kept open, and that people who have time to follow this will continue to post news. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  13. Jan 21, 2017 #12

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I guess you have "presented" your topic with an off-topic statement (in your links).
    If you ask for theories that predict the existence of fundamental magnetic monopoles, you could as well scroll through them in wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole#Grand_unified_theories_2
    but of course, up to now all these are hypotheses (since we've never seen them in experiments so far).
    Now if you're asking me about the perspectives of discovering such a thing - I won't say my beliefs (because up to now, that's a matter of taste and beliefs)... But scientists search for things even if they don't exist... We just don't like what fits well to our understanding :rolleyes: and new stuff are always welcome...

14. Jan 21, 2017 #13
    Would it be more appropriate to open a thread on "news about magnetic monopoles?" instead of keeping this one? It's such an important topic.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  15. Jan 21, 2017 #14

mfb

2016 Award

If there is something new, better open a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted