Magnetism the 6th Sense. Do Humans Have It?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • Start date

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Radiolab did a small bit on this. Namely, they said that birds use the earth's magnetic field to guide them on their migrations. But, I think this would be like a seventh sense if it existed in humans our sixth sense is equilibrioception. Radiolab also did a cool show called "Where am I?" where they talked to some guy who lost his sense of equilibrioception.
There is some debate regarding what classes as a "sense" but in actual fact we have nearly/over 10.

Bobbywhy

Gold Member
Even if cows did sense magnetic North
why would they pefer it?

My guess is when they face North the southerly sun illminates the grass better.
Would that same reasoning apply to cows in the Southern Hemisphere?

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Would that same reasoning apply to cows in the Southern Hemisphere?
I was hoping somebody from Down Under would chime in !

I'm going to tell everyone that I have a 6th sense, now... when they ask what it is, I'll tell them: "I can sense when I need to vomit."

Sigh... :frown:

EDIT: Incidentally, there is some anecdotal evidence that individuals are susceptible to electromagnetic radiation.
Electromagnetic Radiation is not the same as magnetic field. Obviously, gamma rays would have an effect on a person.

It's been proven many times and in many places that humans are sensitive to strong magnetic fields

I do not see what the debate is about it simple to understand

Moving thru a strong magnetic field with a conductive material generates electricity
Your nervous system is an electric circuit
Many haunted houses have been attributed to magnetized pipes
We are not nearly as sensitive to them as other animals but we are defiantly wired "excuse the pun" to be able feel them

http://www.medcom.lsuhscshreveport.edu/drmarino/cms_v1/useruploads/pdf/137-clinneurophys2004.pdf

This got me to thinking about google maps. I did not find any cows, but I think I found cow shadows.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=29.557732,-95.151641&spn=0.000652,0.000862&t=h&z=20
The image seems fast enough to capture cars on the interstate.

As far as the original question, I read in Scientific American about Birds using the difference in the polarized sky, to tell direction. I tried it and in fact the north/south sky
looks very different than the east/west sky.

.Here in Bali the natives have excellent sense of direction. It would be worth testing. I'd do it myself, but a rigorous experiment is too expensive. It takes a soundproof room and some sort of randomized mechanically rotating chair, I think. All directional clues other than mag must be removed.

Come to think of it, not even that would work if the clues come from natural sunlight. How could that experiment be done? I don't know.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving