1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of displacement vector

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Earth moves around the Sun in a circle of radius 1.50 X 10^11 m at approximately constant speed. Taking today's position of the Earth as origin, draw a diagram showing the position vector 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months later. Draw the displacement vector between the 0 month and 3 month positions and calculate the magnitude of the displacement vector for this 3-month interval.

2. Relevant equations
    x= rcos[tex]\phi[/tex]
    y= rsin[tex]\phi[/tex]
    x^2 + y^2 = r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    my friend told me that the diagram is supposed to look like the sine function and that the amplitude= 1.5 X 10^11 m, but I still don't understand how to calculate the magnitude of the displacement vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your friend told you wrong. The Earth goes around the Sun much like the tip of a clock hand goes around the face of the clock. If "today" the tip is at 12 o' clock (0 month position), it will be at the 3 o' clock position 3 months later, the 6 o'clock position 6 months later and so on. Can you draw the displacement vectors and calculate their magnitudes now?

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    So do I just take the square root of ((1.50 X 10^11)^2 + (1.50 X 10^11)^2) to get the magnitude of the displacement vector?

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For 3 months, yes. What about 6 months?

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    Between the 0 month and 6 month positions would I take (1.50 X 10^11) + (1.50 X 10^11)?

7. Sep 23, 2009 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook