Major Complications w/ the Problem of Evil

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, when discussing the Problem of Evil, some of the most common questions and conflicts include the existence of evil in a world created by a morally perfect and all-powerful god, the role of free will and human choices in the presence of evil, and the validity of faith in the face of evil. The most common question asked by skeptics is how a good and powerful god can allow evil to exist. The most common response from theists is that God has a morally sufficient reason for permitting evil, and that evil is a result of human disobedience and ignorance of the divine light. The most common arguments for the existence and non-existence of faith include the problem of evil as a proof for the non-existence of God, and
Quote: Standards are discovered, not created. They are produced, not created.
a bit of contradiction here?

anyway, we percive natural law to b a constant and it is our faith in it that we hold it to b a constant.nothing is constant in this world , onli wat we perceive to be.

on a lighter note, what are u currently doing now?
uni education?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evil said:
Quote: Standards are discovered, not created. They are produced, not created.
a bit of contradiction here?

anyway, we percive natural law to b a constant and it is our faith in it that we hold it to b a constant.nothing is constant in this world , onli wat we perceive to be.

on a lighter note, what are u currently doing now?
uni education?

:smile: About the contradiction. No, that was not a contradiction. What we produce are our discoveries. We can not create anything, since all our "creations" (productions) are just deformations or formations of earlier matter (aka Law of Conservation of Matter). Therefore, our productions are our discoveries.

Regarding faith: I'm glad you mentioned "faith". It is an important aspect of life. If we have faith in that natural law is a constant, there must also be a foundation for belief.

About nothing being the same -- you seem to have similar views to Heraclitus. Heraclitus believed everything is in a state of flux. Aristotle later said, "If everything is in flux, and nothing is permanent, then how do we know the words you are stating and i am hearing at this instant, are the same words which you thought of?"

I am only Grade 12. I am studying Physics, Discrete Math and Geometry, Philosophy, and other Sciences.

Quote:About nothing being the same -- you seem to have similar views to Heraclitus. Heraclitus believed everything is in a state of flux. Aristotle later said, "If everything is in flux, and nothing is permanent, then how do we know the words you are stating and i am hearing at this instant, are the same words which you thought of?"
exactly wat i mean by the colour blue to me may not be the same colour blue to you!":p
hey at least u get a fun subject combination...my school doesn't offer philosophy at all...

Evil said:
Quote:About nothing being the same -- you seem to have similar views to Heraclitus. Heraclitus believed everything is in a state of flux. Aristotle later said, "If everything is in flux, and nothing is permanent, then how do we know the words you are stating and i am hearing at this instant, are the same words which you thought of?"
exactly wat i mean by the colour blue to me may not be the same colour blue to you!":p
hey at least u get a fun subject combination...my school doesn't offer philosophy at all...
Evil. You just proved yourself wrong. You stated that you do not believe "blue" is a constant (and thus in flux), while aknowledging ARistotle's statement against Heraclitus' idea of everytyhing being in flux.

Aristotle also had objections to the idea of permanence. He stated that if everything is permanent, then how do humans and animals die?

The idea then, is to aknowledge both ideas: permanence and flux. Our souls are permanent, while our bodies are in flux.