Making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O

In summary, the purpose of making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O is to have a range of concentrations for various experiments or applications. The process involves mixing TiO2 powder with a specific ratio of glycerin and water, heating and filtering the mixture. Glycerin/H2O is a popular solvent for this process due to its non-toxic nature and high boiling point. Factors such as ratio, temperature, and purity can affect the concentration. The same process can be used with other solvents, but adjustments may be necessary.
Anne
Hey fellow scientists.I have a burning question..I would like to make a similar chemical environment for sunscreen products with titanium dioxide present.Does anyone know the process of making different concemtrations of Tio2 paste using glycerin or water?i would really appreaciate some feedback..Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would use a coupling agent as well to or a suspension stabilizer as well. I'm nit sure I'd use VG as a base though. Try coconut oil.

Or shea butter. It has a wider spreadable semisolid temperature range than coconut oil.

BoB

What is the purpose of making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O?

The purpose of making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O is to have a range of concentrations to use for various experiments or applications. Different concentrations can yield different results and it is important to have a variety to choose from.

What is the process for making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O?

The process for making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O involves mixing the desired amount of TiO2 powder with a specific ratio of glycerin and water. This mixture is then stirred and heated until it reaches a certain temperature, and then cooled and filtered to remove any impurities.

What are the benefits of using glycerin/H2O as a solvent for making TiO2 concentrations?

Glycerin/H2O is a popular solvent for making TiO2 concentrations because it is non-toxic, readily available, and has a high boiling point. It also has a low vapor pressure which makes it less likely to evaporate during the heating process, ensuring a more accurate concentration.

What factors can affect the concentration of TiO2 when using glycerin/H2O?

There are several factors that can affect the concentration of TiO2 when using glycerin/H2O, such as the ratio of glycerin to water, the temperature and duration of heating, and the quality and purity of the starting TiO2 powder. It is important to carefully control these factors to achieve the desired concentration.

Can the same process be used for making different concentrations of TiO2 using other solvents?

The process for making different concentrations of TiO2 using glycerin/H2O can be adapted for other solvents, but the specific ratios and methods may need to be adjusted. It is important to research the properties of the chosen solvent and how it may affect the TiO2 concentration before attempting to use it in the process.