Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making hologram without optical table ?

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    I read the instruction on how to make a hologram at http://www.3dimagenery.com and it
    says that you need optical table in order to make a hologram but the optical table is
    quite expensive for me . So, I want to ask that can I make the hologram as in the 3dimagenery
    website without using a optical table.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need a stable surface which will isolate your optical components from vibrations. If your optical components are moving with respect to each other you will not be able to make a decent hologram.

You may be able to get away with a cement floor, as long as there is no trains or large trucks passing nearby.
  4. Mar 14, 2006 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Optical table use sand beds to dampen vibrations, so something as simple as placing 4 legs of a table in garden pots full of sand may do the trick. You'd also want to have your table as heavy as practically possible.

I'd be interested to see if this works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?