Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making Matter Out of Extra Particles

1. Nov 1, 2015 #1
    Have we ever observed or created atoms with nuclei made up of charmed and strange quarks, surrounded by a muon "cloud" or "shell"? Or perhaps an atom with a top-and-bottom-quark-nucleus and a tau particle orbiting it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can have muons in atomic orbitals and you can have strange quarks in the nucleus - these are called hypernuclei. Both are very short lived because they are made of unstable particles.

4. Nov 1, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think we have. Muons live long enough to make e.g. muonium, but the heavier quarks (or the nucleus candidates they can form) live too shortly to play these games.

5. Nov 1, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Both hypernuclei (at least two nucleons, and at least one of them with a heavier quark) and muons are rare products of high-energetic collisions, getting two of them close enough in phase-space to get bound will happen extremely rarely. I don't know numbers - we might have produced them, but I don't think there are experimental results. Such a study will have a hard time finding a few events in a huge background.

Individually, they have been observed of course.

The top-quark is too short-living to get bound in hadrons.

6. Nov 1, 2015 #5
    Thanks a lot guys. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your straightforward answers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook